Thread: Veneer: Contact Cement or Titebond Cold Press?

Veneer: Contact Cement or Titebond Cold Press?

Hello,

I have to apply some veneer to some bifold doors. Contact cement seems to be the adhesive of choice, but I am wondering if anyone has tried using Titebond Cold Press for Veneer?

Thanks

Jon

Alot depends upon what kind of veneer you are using and what kind of results you expect. The cold press PVA is intended for use with vacuum bag systems or clamping with cauls. I assume these doors are large and flat. If so, and you have the right equipment, the cold press will work. Contact cement is a poor bonding agent for veneer but, it can do the job. But, it can also leak out to the surface of unbacked veneer. If you are using paper backed veneer the contact cement will work and it will be fast. Lastly, consider an old technique in which you coat both mating surfaces with PVA and let them dry. As soon as they are dry place the veneer over the door and use and iron to reactivate the glue and produce a bond.

It really depends on your material and what you are trying to accomplish. The only way I would use veneer with contact cement is if it is paper backed. Regular veneer has too much chance of bleed through along with other problems. Even then, if you intend the doors to last more than 20 yrs I wouldn't use contact cement. It is faster and easier but like so many things it is not the best long term solution. If you want the doors to last, use regular veneer and a glue formulated for veneering. I'm not sure if you are asking about using Titebond for cold press veneering or if there is a product called Titebond for cold press veneering. I am not familiar with the latter and the former is not suitable for veneering. Personally I like two part urea glues like Weldwood but that requires a heated shop. Unibond is another recommended adhesive for veneering but it is expensive and not widely available. Hope this helps.