Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with this 150W?

What is wrong with this 150W?

Hi everybody!

Can someone please enlighten a newbie what is wrong here. I seem to be getting the same power between 40 and 95%. Mirrors are aligned. Material is in focus. Settings have been checked by the manufacturer.

Cutting 12mm plywood:
    IMG_2044.jpgIMG_2045.jpg

Did an engraving test and at 10-35 there are changes, 40-95 are the same. Unfortunately I didn't have anything to cut the board with so you can see it in profile.

IMG_2024.jpg

What seems to be the problem here?

Paul,

It would help us to know what type of machine you're using. On the rastered pic, what are the settings there. I'm saying more info would help.
    The cutting part is quite puzzling 'tho..?

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

The machine is a Longtai 1390.

The settings on the rastered pic is 100mm/s on the first row, 500mm/s on the second row. Power number is on top of each "box".

Did the laser previously work correctly, and now it doesn't? Or is it new?

Also, are you completely familiar with the software? It's not outside the realm of possibility that you've inadvertently used the same settings on all the blocks.
    Last edited by Keith Downing; 04-01-2017 at 5:47 PM.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Hi Patric,

To me it seems that you are using exterior plywood which is very hard to cut with a laser. Have you tried the same with any other material ?

Regards,
    Hannu
    GCC Spirit GX 60W, 600 Series LLC 60W, Corel 11/X3, Illustrator, Autocad 2004, etc...

Your limits are set too low or the tube is going bad. Is there a mA meter on your laser? If there is, watch it to make sure the meter reading increases when you increase the power.
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

Machine is brand new. All material is interior grade birch plywood (B/BB quality). The settings are not the same for all the blocks, it's been checked, rechecked and finally verified by the manufacturer via Teamviewer. Same min/max value.

I have done the test in 6mm acrylic also. 10-35 big changes, 40-95 barely any change.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Harris View Post
    Your limits are set too low or the tube is going bad. Is there a mA meter on your laser? If there is, watch it to make sure the meter reading increases when you increase the power.
    This was going to be my next question.

Assuming you have one, are you getting the same power output reading for all settings? If so, there is definitely a problem with the machine, tube or software. If not, it could be the material/focus/air etc.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

When the manufacture was logged in via Teamviewer, I saw a tube limit passing by on one of the screens and it was set to 99%.

Unfortunately I don't have a mA meter on the machine. If you measure it on the tube, I'm guessing it's very high voltage and not possible to use a regular amp meter?

Air assist is on.

On my machine, the upper limit I have set to 95%, the lower limit I have set to 5%. Can you confirm your lower limit is not set to 99%?

And yes, if you are so inclined you can add an mA meter to your machine.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

Isn't the limits inside "Vendor settings", where you need a password? Quite sure that's where I saw the upper limit (when he logged in there remotely) or can you see it somewhere else?

But I'm quite sure it's correct. I've been testing how low you can go and the laser didn't fire under 8%.

Quote Originally Posted by Patric Sandelin View Post
    Isn't the limits inside "Vendor settings", where you need a password? Quite sure that's where I saw the upper limit (when he logged in there remotely) or can you see it somewhere else?

But I'm quite sure it's correct. I've been testing how low you can go and the laser didn't fire under 8%.
    That's going to depend on the vendor. Mine, once activated, can be controlled by the user.

I also found this thread, 3 or 4 years old, but appears to describe a similar problem. He was vague at the end but said it was a wiring problem and he was able to fix it.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-watt-efr-tube
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

Nice find! Thank you!
    Too bad he didn't mention what wiring, but I will take a look tomorrow.

Also found the vendor password in that thread. My min power was set to 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Patric Sandelin View Post
    Nice find! Thank you!
    Too bad he didn't mention what wiring, but I will take a look tomorrow.

Also found the vendor password in that thread. My min power was set to 1%.
    He hasn't been online in awhile, but he does list his skype username in his profile. He probably wouldn't mind answering questions via skype chat if you feel so inclined. Most SMC members are pretty helpful on and offline from my experience.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

Check out the Sarbarmultimedia YouTube channel. This guy is amazing. I can't find the particular video but he shows how the power output is not linear like the percentage numbers would suggest. The rise is very steep from 0 to 20 or 30% or so, then flattens out to a much lower slope from that point. That would explain the results you got in pic 3, 500 speed.
    Last edited by John MacDougall; 04-01-2017 at 8:32 PM.