Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Soul of a Tree

I could not agree more.

What do they say "happiness is where you find it".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It seems there's a lot wrapped around what each of us consider "soul" to mean in the context of both the book and the wonderful activity we share. Perhaps it's not a literal thing; rather, it's a feeling, perhaps of accomplishment or contentment. It almost doesn't matter. If you enjoy the craftsmanship and get satisfaction with the end result, that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    No one commissions a piece of furniture because they just need a certain piece of furniture, instead they are buying an experience as well as a piece of furniture.
    I agree with that. One thing I thought of is to take pictures as the piece is made and then have a book made of the pictures showing the furniture from raw wood to finished product. And deliver the book as well as the furniture.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, I suspect there are some clients that would happily pay for that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi all -

I'm the OP. This has certainly become an interesting thread. My intention was simply to tell everybody about my newest wwing book. And my thoughtful wife.

But, having read through everyone's reply, Malcolm McLeod summed it up best. It's about what we bring to our work. Kind of like James Krenov's books too - more philosophical than technique.

George Nakashima had an approach I admire. And an extraordinary taste level.

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

My wife and I are starting to spend some more time together, building rocking chairs. She has had a bit of a epiphany for those that dont have a spiritual leaning, and a spiritual experience for those that do. We both strongly believe that one of the things that we are trying to do is help a tree "fill the full measure of its creation", something that is a part of our LDS (Mormon) beliefs. We believe that all things that occur naturally were created spiritually before they were created physically. So, if you will, I personally believe that trees have a spirit (soul).

I have great respect for Mike Henderson and the work he does, and in fact, have taken many of his ideas and techniques and used them, reproducing some of his work. I do, however, respectfully reject the notion that all things must be proved scientifically in order to be validated as fact. I love my wife, but there is no true empirical method for verifying that love, other than the things I do, and am willing to sacrifice for her. But I sincerely hope my differing view does not offend Mike at all. I embrace the notion that we can all see things differently, and still be supportive and helpful to each other. I hope I can improve to the point that my work demonstrates the attention to detail and quality that Mike's (and so many others here as well) does. If I can do that, I will certainly be doing a better job of helping a tree fill the measure of its creation.

I wholeheartedly agree with all that have commented as such here, that the work I see here on this forum, definately proves that each of you want to take wood and help it become something for the betterment and enjoyment of their lives, in whatever shape or form that ends up in. I am in awe at the things that Sawmill Creek members produce from wood. I truly believe that each of you, whatever your motivations, are helping trees truly "fill the full measure" of their creation.

I hope no one is offended by this post. But it is a very interesting thread, and touches my heartstrings. I have not read either James Krenov, or George Nakashima, but, as a result of the post, am very interested in doing so.
    Last edited by Brent Ring; 04-06-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: clarification
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I agree with that. One thing I thought of is to take pictures as the piece is made and then have a book made of the pictures showing the furniture from raw wood to finished product. And deliver the book as well as the furniture.

Mike
    I started doing that a few years ago. Now, I send my clients texts with photos every few days as the piece develops. It's fun to show your clients just how many tools and machines are used to produce their piece. To keep with the thread, it shows the client a lot of "your" soul that goes into a piece.