Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oak vs. Ash

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Brian, I just got done milling up about 90 brd/ft. of Ash for my stair project. Personally, I think it's just a tad tighter grained than Oak and should require a bit less filling for the writing surface. There are the typical "gotchya's", similar to Oak, though. Be very careful surfacing it, as it has a tendency to tear out, especially when grain changes direction. Also, it's not any easier on the old muscles! I worked 8/4 rough and that stuff is heavy!!!
    Didn't like my fire pole idea?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Didn't like my fire pole idea?
    Oh, I like the idea just fine but, after checking with the building inspector, he said we weren't zoned for having a strip joint! Go figure....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by George Matthews
    The top left is 52" and the top right 53.5"

From my experience, making them identical would significantly reduce the amount of work and potential for mistakes. Even if you need to add a filler strip to the right and make them both 52".
    Good catch George! We haven't made a final decision on the design but we have talked about those 2 top cabinets and you're right, making them the same size is simple enough and will make cutting the parts much eaiser.

Thanks
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Ash does look a lot like oak but it is heavier.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-18-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Jim,
    If he does need some wood, you'll need to fire up the flux capacitor and head back to 2005.

I worked 8/4 rough and that stuff is heavy!!!
    White ash is quite heavy. I've been working quite a bit lately, however, with Georgia grown 8/4 green ash and I find it's quite light weight. Even though it's classified at about .53 sg, I believe what I'm working with is way below .5. It cuts like a dream, sands easy and has a very tight grain. It looks less like oak, however.

White ash is versatile and a colour cameleon

I really enjoy using white ash in my shop and if you take the time you can make it look as light or dark as you want. Here is some white ash that I dyed and glazed to get a rich dark brown effect. I like the open grain and kept it that way. It is an underutilized domestic hardwood and the pricing reflect it too. Shhh!IMG_20140427_101537.jpgIMG_20140427_101524.jpgPreviously posted pictures, pun intended but they make my point.

Blog Entries
    Ash furniture was sometimes known as Golden Oak. There are a lot of ash trees int Texas forests. A lot of it ends up in the furniture shops on the East coast.

When kitchen cabinets were mostly "job Built", ash was the premium wood in South central Texas. See the description for ash at the link below.

http://www.lewislp.com/woodchar.asp
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 10-19-2014 at 5:49 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoffman View Post
    That's a beautiful work bench, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by George Matthews View Post
    The top left is 52" and the top right 53.5"

From my experience, making them identical would significantly reduce the amount of work and potential for mistakes. Even if you need to add a filler strip to the right and make them both 52".
    I disagree. Not only that it makes it easier, but also that it is less work. How could it be less work? So you take a custom piece made to fit and reduce it down to Home Depot standards with fillers? Not in my world.

On the Ash/Red Oak question I hands down prefer Ash in almost every circumstance.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 10-21-2014 at 6:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    I could be wrong, but I believe the good deals on Ash are due to an abundance of supply of trees due to the EAB killing a lot of trees and making them available to the sawyers. Also, the Ash I have used has a grain pattern similar to Oak, but LESS pronounced and much less porous.
    NOW you tell me...

Ash finishes up more yellow; oak finishes up more pink. Stained they're good substitutes for each other. I don't know whether qs ash is prone to the nice flecking you can get in QSO.

When ash became abundant here, it was available cheap, but the suppliers who sell lumber retail never really dipped that much and the specialty places that like to make a lot of money on wood stopped carrying it entirely.

I have thus never been able to get it cheaply, at least not cheap compared to what I'd expect. Which is probably a suggestion of how much of the cost of lumber is in the hauling and preparation and markup vs. the raw material.