Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oak vs. Ash

Question Oak vs. Ash

How similar are these two woods apperance wise? I'm doing a kitchen island, desk and TV stand for the inlaws and money is tight. I can get Ash for $1.49 bd ft and Oak for $2.09 and i'll need about 175 bf ft for the project.

I assume i'll need to fill either wood for a smooth writing surface on the desk?

Thanks

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

The Ash I have seen is very close to Oak in grain and color. I am not sure about Ash, but the Oak will need to be filled.

You'll have to get a couple samples side by side and compare, but I think they are very similar. I like ash. Although, I've smoked my sawblade trying to saw it before. (pre-3horsepower days)
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    The Ash I have seen is very close to Oak in grain and color. I am not sure about Ash, but the Oak will need to be filled.
    For my oak table, it took about 5 coats of Target EmTech sealer to fill the grain.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

This is the top of a bookcase I threw together for my kitchen. It is 6/4 ash with satin poly.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Robinson; 11-21-2005 at 1:46 PM.

Brian, recently I have used a lot of ash and it works quite nice, it is a little more yellow than oak, but a very similar grain, I have found it comes much narrower from the lumber yard.. but I have been pleased with it.

However, the ash ply is about $60.00 a sheet..I will post a pic if I find one.

Gail

Brian, I just got done milling up about 90 brd/ft. of Ash for my stair project. Personally, I think it's just a tad tighter grained than Oak and should require a bit less filling for the writing surface. There are the typical "gotchya's", similar to Oak, though. Be very careful surfacing it, as it has a tendency to tear out, especially when grain changes direction. Also, it's not any easier on the old muscles! I worked 8/4 rough and that stuff is heavy!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Brian - Notice what all these folks have been using lately? Ash.

I agree with that trend and here's why - everyone else is using oak. It's seen way too much use over the last fifteen years or so. Go into a spec built kitchen and what do you see? Oak.

Your projects are mostly high impact/use types. Just like baseball bats.

Ash.
    Only the Blue Roads

Ash tends to be lighter in color, but has a similar grain contrast and pattern. On cathedral gain, ash tends to be more oval at the tips, where oak tends to be more wavy. Both are nice, but I honestly think ash is prettier, plus it's cheaper and less common. Our ash dining room table looks like oak having a great day.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

ash can be stained to look just like oak.....the average person would be hard pressed to tell the difference....if at all
    chris

Yeah, and with the ash beatle taking a major foothold on so much of the Ash tree population, that humble Ash project may indeed turn into one of rare hardwood in the very near future! Kind of sad, in a way, but there's a definite reality in that statement. Get it while you can and while supplies are still plentiful.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Brian,

I have done several projects with oak and ash. I'm remodeling my kitchen and it will be ash. Of the two I would say the ash is very similiar to oak but the grain is a little tighter. IMHO ash is a nicer looking wood. Good Luck

Frank

Blog Entries
    I have used ash in replacement of oak and the two are very similar in appearance.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I've always liked working with ash. It is hard and therefore a bit hard, muscle-wise, to work by hand, but is very predictable and solid. I use it to edge and tip kayak paddles, and I carved a set of dingy oars. I also used it to make a "curved sanding plane" to shape the blades of my kayak paddles. It's takes a shape well, but takes a lot of muscle to get the shape.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I guess I have a more general question about ash vs oak. I have worked with ash and as others have said it is decent. I have also worked with red and white oak. It seems to me that if I were going to compare ash and oak, I would be thinking in terms of red oak and ash and not white oak and ash. Is this the general consensus here or am I the only one being a little more specific on this comparison?

lou