Thread: Neander Shop Stool

Blog Entries

Neander Shop Stool

At least this one my wife won't borrow and leave it someplace for me to wonder around and find:

Neander Stool.jpg

When some trees were being felled it came to me to have a new chopping block for riving wood. This one works well for that and seems to save my back from not having to bend over so much. It is also a good height for sitting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

When I saw the tread I was thinking it might be a 3 legged stool. I was 2 legs off in my guess.

Stew

There is a fellow selling those as tables....at $395 each....rather an expensive stool...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    There is a fellow selling those as tables....at $395 each....rather an expensive stool...
    I could list mine at half the price, but the shipping would likely eat up the difference.

There are a few large stumps that I am thinking of cutting off level for tables around the yard.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I am not sure whether it would be better or worse in my shop given the natural curiosity of my 5 year old twins... I think it would become a greater curiosity and object of interest than a plain old boring chair.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Jim,

When I saw the tread I was thinking it might be a 3 legged stool. I was 2 legs off in my guess.

Stew
    Well, if you count his two legs it is a three-legged stool.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    I love the design, but I'm stumped as to what kind of wood it is. I was also wondering if it qualified as an antique, depending on how many rings it has. :.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beadle View Post
    I'm stumped as to what kind of wood it is.
    It is from an alder tree that was leaning precariously toward my shop. It was kind of interesting to see it come down using a block and tackle hooked up to my neighbor's truck with the line being pulled by another truck. Mark, the tree cutter, is amazing to watch make a tree fall where he wants it to go.

There are a few stumps around the property now that I may try to cut off for a few more chopping blocks. They come in handy.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-03-2017 at 2:49 PM. Reason: punctuation

Hey Jim, All you need now is a scrap of ply some shavings and an old shop towel to make a cush for your tosh and you'll be set. Make that a red shop towel so you don't stump your toes on it.
    Jim

Has a nice, natural look to it and I bet its comfortable....Seems fitting for a hand tool guy.
    Jerry

One caution....

Get the bark off and coat it with some sort of green lumber insecticide. Solubor is one, but there are quite a few out there.

You dont want to bring an infestation of wood boring beetles into your shop.