Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beekeepers - working any swarms?

Beekeepers - working any swarms?

Anyone dealing with swarms now? I've had two big swarms in the last two days.

The first swarmed from my largest hive while I was inspecting the other hives! Amazing sight and sound! Unfortunately it balled up about 35' high in a pine tree. I have a 24' pole with a swarm catching ring/bag. Pulling a redneck maneuver I could just barely reach it standing on a couple of platforms on top the cab of my truck. (I did have a branch to hold onto.) It was not a clear path the the swarm so I was fighting with snagging pine branches and captured only a small portion of the bees each of five tries. I evidently didn't get the queen (or she didn't approve of the box) because the bees abandoned the new box after a couple of hours.

Then about noon today I found another large swarm hanging in the same tree. (Actually, I don't know if it was the same swarm from yesterday or a new one.) This one was only about 20' up and was far easier to bump but so large it still took me four tries to get the bulk of it. I guess I got the queen since the bees calmed down and stayed in the new box all day feeding like crazy on a winter pattie. Tomorrow if they are still there I'll start syrup feeding and add half a super of capped honey from the freezer to get them started.

The bees in the other hives are bringing in a lot of pollen and nectar, starting to fill up some of the empty super frames. All have many frames of brood.

How are your bees so far this year?

JKJ

No swarms here but I'm looking for one. I want to add one more hive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    No swarms here yet, but I would love to find a couple.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Oh jeez, was setting up to grill something outside, there was a swarm of honey bees flying about in the yard. The sound was amazing and for a non bee keeper, it's a bit intimidating. Most of the information on the web said not to worry, the honey bees are just swarming and kind of between homes and will leave. Well they decided to take up home in my house in the soffit near where I was setting up the grill. Have a beekeeper coming over to remove and relocate the bees to a new home, the bee keeper said he has removed bees 20 - 30 times this spring.

No swarming in this area yet, either...the weather has been so crazy that it's seeming the season is starting slowing. I do have a trap almost ready to go, however, just to see if we can catch something.

Both of our first year colonies did make it through the winter strong, so we're starting off from a good place and will be trying some splits as well as adding another NUC of local genetics.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How do you guys find swarms? I live out near a big woods. It used to be all country, and now development is encroaching, but I have never seen a swarm in the 33 years I have been here. (Thank goodness.)

And you guys see them. I don't understand. Or do the swarms find you because other bees are around?

One way to find them is to give your name to the local police dept. They get calls about bees all the time. Of course, they don't do anything except tell the caller to call a beekeeper or an exterminator.

Now, the bad thing. Some of the calls will involve insects other than honey bees. Some calls will involve established hives in walls, etc. Around here, you have to be licensed to take them out of walls.

But if you're willing to put up with the false alarms, you can get some swarms.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

John,

We can't start concentrating on bees until next year but your post is a nice reminder. You should have posted a picture of yourself on top of your truck on your tiptoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    How do you guys find swarms? I live out near a big woods. It used to be all country, and now development is encroaching, but I have never seen a swarm in the 33 years I have been here. (Thank goodness.) And you guys see them. I don't understand. Or do the swarms find you because other bees are around?
    Tony,

Most those I see and get are from my own hives. They usually stop and "hang" out in a tree close to my hives for at least a day. Bees usually seem to swarm between 10am and noon so that is a good time to check.

BTW, don't ever worry about honeybee swarms. Even if they accumulate on your bush or porch they are no hazard. Swarming honey bees are moving to a new location so each one is full of honey to help the new colony get started. When bees are stuffed with honey they don't sting. Unless you disturb them significantly. Regardless where they stop for a while, they will be gone in a day or two. That is, unless they find a nice opening into an attractively-sized cavity in your attic or wall or shed.

Yes, someone actively looking for swarms to capture can give his name to the local fire department, police department, animal control people. Let the local beekeeping club know in case there are swarms no one else has time or can get. I don't do any of that since I have enough hives.

Someone willing to cut houses apart to get honeybees from inside of walls and attics you might get plenty of calls since very few people will do that.

I have removed them from neighbors yards when they ask nicely. I did successfully remove one from a big tree last summer. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...99#post2588399 That hive is doing fine this year.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    One way to find them is to give your name to the local police dept. They get calls about bees all the time. Of course, they don't do anything except tell the caller to call a beekeeper or an exterminator.

Now, the bad thing. Some of the calls will involve insects other than honey bees. Some calls will involve established hives in walls, etc. Around here, you have to be licensed to take them out of walls.

But if you're willing to put up with the false alarms, you can get some swarms.

Mike
    Well in my case the Charlotte bee keepers have a website with a list of bee keepers who will work with homeowners to resolve swarm issues and removal, some will only remove the swarm from other than a structure, some from structures..

Tony, the other aspects of swarms is that sometimes they are not necessarily "seen", but they are still there since swarming is a natural occurrence and is a way that the bee colonies help to control growth and stay strong. When a queen and a bunch of bees leave a hive (man-made or natural), there are often some percentage of bees left behind along with some new queen cells (swarm cells in this case) that allow a new queen to come into play and start that part of the colony growing again. Sometimes, the bees swarm because they have run out of space.. And sometimes 'just because'... Remember...they are for the most part, all girls. (that's meant to be humorous, not sexist)

Many beekeepers will put out swarm traps to capture bees who are looking for a new home. That means "free bees" to grow their own operation because it's remarkably simple to transfer a swarm into a new-to-them hive. They are also usually of strong "local" genetics which can help with overwintering and resistance to pests like varoa mites. I'm planning on putting a trap on a friend's property that's a few miles from here and see what that brings since Professor Dr. SWMBO and I plan on increasing the number of colonies we support this year, which is our second year as beeks.
    --

Which brings another question to mind.

How do you beekeepers keep the ones you have in your own hives?

"In general", while there's no absolutely assurance that you can keep bees from swarming, regular hive checks will allow the beek to see the signs of impending swarming and then they can take action to add space, do a "split" (which is essentially a man-made "swarm") into 2 or more separate colonies/hives, etc. A lot of it comes down to timing and making sure that the colony is happy.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And sometimes 'just because'... Remember...they are for the most part, all girls. (that's meant to be humorous, not sexist)
    Not only that, but the workers "girls" toss out nearly all the drones (males) as soon as it gets cold in the fall.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My tale of bees doesn't include harvesting honey.

We bought this hundred-year-old farmhouse 32 years ago. It was a wreck needing complete rebuilding. (I wonder why we did that?)

On the first floor north wall a friend and I probed the plaster wall. I had intended to keep it, but one spot seemed punky. So my friend tapped it, and found it was crumbled. We decided to tear it out, and out came angry bees. More bees than I ever saw in my life. The large window in that wall was open and they turned and headed outside through it as we headed toward the back door. It was early March and cold. They seemed to die almost immediately as they hit the outside air.

The end of the story was us having to removing from the spaces between a dozen studs, foundation to roofline, bees and honey. About a third of the hives were dead and stinking. Stinking, really.

It delayed our remodeling for days.

A few years later another bunch found a way into the house from the west side. We had to call an exterminator.

I give bees a wide berth.
    Last edited by Tony Zona; 04-02-2017 at 10:34 PM.