Thread: Nail Hole Filler?

Nail Hole Filler?

Guys been putting down 3 rms of that pre-primer mdf baseboard and crown molding.When your using a finish nail gun sometimes a person gets carry away.I was wondering what you use to fill those holes,I have used in the past Painter Putty but thats kinda messy.I also have some cracks that where one piece of 1x6 butts up against another trimming out a door.Wanting to kinda build up the filler little so that can come back and sand it level when all is cured/dry.What works for you,oh the paint will be latex which will be spraying using an airless.Thank "The Home Remodeler" for now

I use a filler made by Elmers from the hardware store. Very sandable. Takes paint well.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Since this is primed mdf, you can use wood putty, Bondo, Minwax wood filler, sawdust mixed with wood or spackle.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lightweight drywall joint compound works really well. A small bucket of the stuff doesn't cost much and is enough to do a house full of trim.

John

Spackle and a quick swipe with sandpaper once it's dried. I use the pink stuff that turns white when it's cured.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

spackle for me too since I will have some out as part of the painting job. I like Crackshot which seems to be a bit heavier.

I usually use wax filler sticks. They are quick and easy and come in a variety of colors. You can work the wax in by pressing it in, or use a hot knife and melt it. I just give it a quick rub with a cloth when I'm done. Quick and easy.

For any molding that I will be painting I just use an inexpensive latex caulk. Easy to apply and a tube lasts a long time with just tape on the nozzle. For any stained and finished molding I use colored wax sticks.