Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How use an angle grinder in woodworking?

How use an angle grinder in woodworking?

For years I have resisted the urge to buy an angle grinder..My thought was that it wouldn't be of much use in woodworking. More of a tool useful if working metal. Maybe I am wrong and now reconsidering its usefulness.
    Other than metal use, how do you guys use in your shops? I know you can change the discs to suit your purpose...Any tips for this uninformed WWer??
    Jerry

Google kutzall disc.

An angle grinder with a carbide spiked wheel will open your world to sculpting and blended joinery.

I use mine for sanding on my lathe. I've made adaptors so that I can use 2" and 3" mandrels and disks.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

With a death wheel, they're awesome for coping crown.

I use one for cleaning glue off the clamp rack every couple of years.

I have two, mainly used for restoration projects. But put a wire cup wheel on and slap on a scotch rite pad cut to size and it'll clean up cast iron tops like nobody's business.

I'd like to get a wheel like Prashun suggests for blending joinery too.

I mostly use mine with a curved carbide cutter Kinda scary to use but super aggressive, controlled cutting. Deserving of a death grip for sure.

Good for carving chair seats. Like Martin said, good for coping crown - I did some 8" in a bar a few years back.

I carry the thing in my install kit for coping built ins and other unanticipated trimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    For years I have resisted the urge to buy an angle grinder..My thought was that it wouldn't be of much use in woodworking. More of a tool useful if working metal. Maybe I am wrong and now reconsidering its usefulness. Other than metal use, how do you guys use in your shops? I know you can change the discs to suit your purpose...Any tips for this uninformed WWer??
    Do you carve wood? For my use I prefer a smaller angle grinder, the Proxxon: https://proxxon-us-shop.com/products...FUk7gQoda9QMPw

It is just like the angle grinders but has a longer neck and much smaller wheel for better detail. I do use carbide burrs, but I recently got a new wheel with several carbide teeth that cuts far better and I think is more controllable.

Note there is wheel for angle grinders that has chainsaw teeth on it - great for carving big things like totem poles such, after initial shaping with a chain saw. However, these can be quite aggressive and "grabby" if you are not careful.

I personally don't find any use for my 4-1/2" angle grinders in the wood shop; I use them only for metal working, cutting, grinding, sanding, smoothing, and wire brushing with wheel and cups. (and occasionally with concrete) Nothing can match their utility with steel. I keep four or five with different attachments ready so I don't have to change. One is cordless so I can carry it out on the farm to cut a piece of metal or knock of some rust. One problem with using the same tool for metal and wood is metal working is extremely dirty - I don't mix them. And for me, the size of the angle grinders is too big for what I do and the power is more than I would need.

BTW, I know someone who buys these from Harbor Freight and while experiences vary widely, his didn't last long. He didn't care since they were so cheap. I have a different philosophy about tools in general and only buy the best I can afford. A couple of these have had heavy use for maybe 25 years.

JKJ

I build some handicap ramps out of treated 2x lumber and the angle grinder with abrasive disk makes quick work of rounding off corners and blending the joints. Also good for some rough shaping of turnings. And then, the occasional need to use the disks for metal work. You may need 2 - just joking. I did end up with a free one with a recip saw and it is the one that gets the most use.

I do volunteer work on other people's houses, sometimes it includes putting in ramps. The angle grinder comes in handy to knock off burrs, flatten out joints, and the like. Using the same 36 grit flap wheel I have been using the 4 1/2 inch grinder to make the cope shapes on molding. I was really surprised on how accurate it can be.
    Wood'N'Scout

I'm learning as I read....Sounds like most of you have many uses for it....And the investment is reasonable.
    Any favorite brands or models? Or favorite discs?
    Jerry

I bought the Horrible Fright knockoff of the "Lancelot" blade with a loop of chainsaw chain sandwiched between two disks. Now I would use my vibrating saw tool AKA Fein. Or an electric chainsaw
    Anyone here ever used the chainsaw powered planer/jointer tool. I bought one at a yard sale and sold it because it looked too scary. Maybe it was just for bark removal?
    Bill

I got a 4" wheel for mine with a chain saw chain on it. It does chew the wood, but one has to be careful... Great for sculpting edges and blending stuff in.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I have used my angle grinder to make 6" flanges to replace the 4" ones on my machines. Use the 4" cutting wheels from Harbor Freight to cut the straight pieces for the flange. Jigsaw to cut the circles. Just be sure if you use a wire wheel on your grinder to wear goggles. Had a friend who got a piece of wire off his wire wheel in his eye, went straight in to the center of his retna. Had 2 operations and still could barely see out of it.

If you put a rubber sanding backing plate and a 36 grit sanding disc, it's less scary than the chain saw disc and almost as effective. While you are at the tool store get some Zip-cut discs.

Jerry, I don't use mine all the time. I use it for carving. Not every project uses that. If you make chairs it's good for hollowing a seat.

A flap wheel is ok for softer woods. For hard woods, the carbide grinding wheel is better.

Personally I would wait until the project requires it before getting one.

Now if you work with metal or want to do some basic metal cutting every now and then, an angle grinder is a must have imho.