Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How use an angle grinder in woodworking?

On another site, I read a 2 pg. thread on angle grinders...It was stressed very dramatically and often that they are VERY DANGEROUS....Gave several examples...they stressed that the discs can shatter and fly though the air anywhere.....Is this overstated or should I be extremely cautious?
    Jerry

Not overstated. use gloves, face shield and take a lot of breaks.

Picture running a router without the base.

I use a 4 1/2" grinder with the sanding disks and wire cups to polish the cambian layer off natural edge slabs. Very quick!! Wear a face shield--I have had wires "dissassociate" from the wheel and penetrate the double layer of my Carhart pants. I have the Lancelot chain saw disk as well. Effective but can be grabby and dangerous. I think they are too fast for much WWing but can be helpful at times. I have several for metal work so I don't have to change disks as often. HF is OK for my needs. I remove the arbor backing plate, pack with extra grease --they have lasted well for the price. Paddle style switches are easier to use.

A word of caution if you are using a Lancelot or similar chain saw carver. KEEP BOTH HANDLES ON THE GRINDER! and then keep both you hands on them. No loose clothing! Get rid of the trigger lock!

I lent mine to an old friend mine and he took the side handle off. It got away from him, got him on his arm, he dropped it and it hit the ground still running and climbed up his leg to his crotch cutting all the way. He never really recovered from it as he was older and died about six months later from complications.

I'm just saying, its a dangerous tool, Have the utmost respect.

Aside from the obvious uses...equipping it with an ArborTek head turns it into a wood sculpturing tool similar to/complimentary to a small chain saw for "carving".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jerry, like all tools, the angle grinders have their place. Between my girlfriend and me, I think that we must have at least a dozen angle grinders. We use them for carving chair and stool seats, plus sometimes the legs,depending on the design. We keep different attachments on them. We use the Arbortech random orbit attachment for sanding on the lathe.
    Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    A word of caution if you are using a Lancelot or similar chain saw carver. KEEP BOTH HANDLES ON THE GRINDER! and then keep both you hands on them. No loose clothing! Get rid of the trigger lock!

I lent mine to an old friend mine and he took the side handle off. It got away from him, got him on his arm, he dropped it and it hit the ground still running and climbed up his leg to his crotch cutting all the way. He never really recovered from it as he was older and died about six months later from complications.

I'm just saying, its a dangerous tool, Have the utmost respect.
    THAT got my attention, let me tell you. OMG. Sorry for the loss of your friend, that must have been a tough one.
    NOW you tell me...