Thread: White oak finishing advice

White oak finishing advice

I have a couple big (8x2') plain-sawn live edge white oak slabs. One is going to be a desk and one is going to three side tables. I'm looking for advice on a finishing regimen to achieve a look similar to one of these pics. I've used gel stains on oak with good results, but these look different to me. I'm looking for as natural look as possible while accentuating some of the character. My guess is a light/medium tone dye, then sealer, then stain, then topcoat? Any advice appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like pure tung oil on white oak, followed by burnishing with a little beeswax and a handful of shavings. It has worked very nicely on a side table I made for my wife, as well as a set of shelves I made for my son. It really accentuates the grain and the rays, while looking very natural. I like it enough to deal with the durability issues, but I like simple, and I am not a finishing expert by any means.

Don't bother with dye or stain or sealer.

Just use an oil-varnish, one containing boiled linseed oil.

In fact, you could probably just use arm-r-seal or even a spar varnish. Sand to 400 or 600. Flood on. Wipe off. Repeat.

The first photo looks like nothing more than varnish was applied to it. I'm not sure about the second one. But as Prashun said, a light color varnish like Arm-R-Seal is all that's needed to bring out the grain and provide a durable finish. You can apply ARS with a brush or by wiping. For large surfaces I thin it about 25% with mineral spirits and apply it with a foam brush. 3 or 4 coats of gloss. Then I ROS the surface flat and smooth again with 325 grit. Then I wipe on one or two final coats of whatever sheen I want using a blue paper towel.

John

I just made some picture frames with white oak. I used Watco Danish Oil (an oil + varnish mix), the cherry tinted one, to give it just a bit of reddish tone, but as you can see not obtrusive. There is some shellac on top that makes it glossy, but I liked the look of the Watco on white oak. I did not want the rays to stand out or would have tried something different.

IMG_1236.jpg
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 04-03-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'll go with an oil/varnish blend or oil-based varnish. Easy peasy. I have Watco Danish oil in Golden Oak and light and dark walnut, so I think I'll try those on some scraps and see what they offer.

If you find the Golden Oak to look too yellow,you may also try the Natural Watco Danish Oil.