Thread: 16 inch Band Saws

16 inch Band Saws

Hi, I have another equipment opinion question for all you woodworkers. I was looking for a 16 inch or slightly larger band saw. My initial thought was to go for a Laguna with the ceramic guides, which I thought ranked well in some magazine article. However, I was interested in everyone's opinion. Sooooo .... thanks in advance.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Koren
    Hi, I have another equipment opinion question for all you woodworkers. I was looking for a 16 inch or slightly larger band saw. My initial thought was to go for a Laguna with the ceramic guides, which I thought ranked well in some magazine article. However, I was interested in everyone's opinion. Sooooo .... thanks in advance.

Joe
    I vote for the MM16--built like a tank and great customer service. But you'd probably better be prepared to duck on an issue like this because you'll get plenty of feedback
    Dennis

I also liked the ceramic guides from Laguna but was very impressed with everything I saw in the MiniMax line. So I purchased the MiniMax 20 and the ceramic guides from Laguna which fit the MM. Now I have the best of both.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know this is a little off the subject, but how does the Wilke PBS 18" bandsaw compare with the Laguna and MM. I haven't heard much about it, but it seems to be a pretty good saw. Just wondering if it's in the same league as the other two.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Joe,

You've ventured into an area that has been frequently discussed on this forum and others. It's a good question. As others have mentioned, MiniMax would be an obvious alternative to the Laguna.

I have a Laguna LT18, which is essentially the same saw as the LT16HD-- just a little bigger. I like it. It's easy to set up and use, it's very accurate, and it easily powers through whatever wood you throw at it. I've only been using it for a few months now, but no reliability issues yet. I've been treated well by Laguna sales and customer service.

Having said this, I'm pretty certain that I'd be just as satisfied if I had gone with the MM16.

So which one to chose? I dunno. Which saw do you like? Go to a woodworking show and check both saws out and decide for yourself. Maybe one of the saws will feel better to you. Also, try not to get too caught up in comparing the specifications of the saws. Bottom line is that you would do well to own either saw.

Dan

My only suggestion is to consider spending the few extra bucks and go all the way to a 20" saw. Last I knew it wasn't a whole lot more to go up to the next level and you get some nice things like a bigger motor etc.

A Mini Max MM16 in my shop. I don't particularly like the Laguna ceramic guides, but that's just a personal thing. I have the Euro guides on mine most of the time and also have Cool Blocks for use with narrow blades for scrolling. Mini Max has been an outstanding company for me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

While there are many creekers who are happy with their Lagunas, I bought the MM16 based mostly with their customer service and have not been disapointed.

I'll posit a few words on this topic since I too am ISO the right band saw. First, Laguna seems to have a phantom reputation of poor customer service. Or, should I turn this around and say that MM owners are thrilled by their customer service and from what I can tell, they have needed to use customer service quite a bit. The common story of the MM is that it is delivered minus some parts or with some defects but, customer service rights the problem strait away. What I have heard from the Laguna owners (and I do mean owners, as in someone that actually owns one and has experience) is that, few have needed customer service since their machine came without problems. The rare person or two that have Lagunas and need CS seem to have received the help they needed in a timely fashion. Both MM and Laguna are good machines. The Laguna 16HD comes with a 4.5 hp Baldor motor and the ceramic guides that you either love or hate (but, they have been universally reviewed to be the best in the business). The MM comes with a 5 hp motor if my memory serves me and euro guides and I am confident that they both are great machines. In my opinion, and that is all that I have to offer, either would be a wise choice. Chose you favorite color and logo...

Joe,
    I just bought an MM16 a couple months ago and I went through the same thing you did. Both are really great saws that will do anything you ask them. The reason I chose the MM was because of the sales and customer service staff. When I called Laguna they made me feel like they were doing me a favor even talking to me. He literally told me he was too busy to call me back and that it would be 3-4 weeks before he could get a saw shipped.

I called MM and spoke to Michael Kahn. He made me fell very comfortable, right off the back he offered me the show special and said he could probably get a saw on the truck that day if I needed him to. I ordered on Monday, saw delivered on Thursday. Very Happy Customer!

Chris

MM16 is my vote unless you have bigger budget

I've compared them all in person execpt for the BW. My vote, like many others, is for the MM16 unless you can swing the MM20.

Thanks,

John

Proud owner of a Laguna LT18 here. Most of the manufacturers make some great bandsaws, and you will find a large variety in the creekers shops.
    Even after all the reviews, comments, complaints and other info, I am still confident I made the right choice. Love those ceramic guides.
    While you are researching bandsaws, take a look at the Bridgewood line of bandsaws. Very similar to the Laguna and Felder machines, but without the ceramic guides. I believe these guides can be retro-fitted to other brands.
    And the shipping cost to New Jersey would be less from their Penn. location.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.

I have a Laguna Resawmaster in my shop. It is a heck of a saw. It is a long story, but I never compared to a Mini max. I can just tell you that I did have some problems with it (Out of warranty) and they made it right with me

Every time I turn it on, I get a grin on my face!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Joe,

Have you considered Jet's 20 inch model?

Model.......................... JWBS-20...... LT16HD
    Wheel Diameter (in)............ 20-1/2....... ~16
    Throat Cutting Capacity (W/in). 20........... 15"
    Resaw Cutting Capacity (H/in).. 12 1/2....... 13"
    Motor HP....................... 2HP,......... 3HP
    Volts...........................1 Ph, 230V... 220
    Net Weight (lbs)............... 500.......... 415 lbs
    Amp Breaker.................... ? ........... 30
    Minimum Saw Blade (W/in)....... 1/8.......... 1/16"
    Maximum Saw Blade (W/in)....... 1 1/2........ 1 3/8"
    Table Size (in)................ 21 x 21...... 16½"x 22¾"
    Saw Blade (L/in)............... 150.......... 145"
    Table height................... 36-1/2....... 33½"
    Table Tilt (R x L)............. 45° x 10°....
    Rack/pin....................... ? ........... yes
    Foot brake..................... no........... yes
    Guides......................... Standard..... Laguna guides
    Base size...................... 15"x 27" ....
    Height......................... ? ........... 70 1/2"
    Dust Chute Diameter (OD/in).... 4............ 4
    Rip Fence...................... Standard..... Std
    Mitre Gauge.................... Standard..... Std
    U.S. MSRP...................... $1,821.00.... $1,945.00

Some of these specs have changed since this trade study was done. Similar resaw capacity but the larger diameter wheel allows larger blade widths (greater than 1") and a larger table top.

Just a thought.
    GB