Thread: Removing powdercoat with fiber laser

Removing powdercoat with fiber laser

Hi everyone,

Did a search but didn't see anything related so here goes:

I've had some powdercoated Swell bottles show up and I'm trying to work out the settings I need to engrave(remove) the powdercoating using my 20w galvo fiber and the rotary. Haven't had much success or at least nothing I would sell, so I was hoping someone will share some baseline settings that I can use as a starting point?

Right now I'm using:

-laser in focus
    -100% power
    -500 speed
    -35 Hz
    -rotary increments .01mm

I would rather not make 2 passes, has anyone had success with this?

TIA

Jesse

The results are patchy at best and if I reduce the speed, it seems to affect the steel under the coating
    Bodor 20w Galvo fiber w/rotary

I was just testing the JDS black powder coated cup this morning. On my 30 watt fiber galvo I was using 700 speed, 5% power and 80 hz. 45 deg hatch .01.

It was removing the coating and polishing the metal under it. Much better results than I get on my Co2.

I did not try in on the rotary yet.
    IMG_20170403_142833.jpg
    Last edited by Kristian Matz; 04-03-2017 at 2:33 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 80watt, IS400 Volume (2x), LS100ex, Rayzist SandBlaster,
    Valiani MATPRO IX 150 Mat Cutter, Mitre-Mite T-350 double miter saw

At your current settngs, once the beam penetrates the coating you WILL be engraving metal. If your goal is shiny un-engraved metal after getting thru the P-coating, your Hz needs to be much higher, around 85--- Speed needs to be increased to around 1500, and power I'd start at 40%. It will likely take more than one pass the clear the coating regardless, so for good results, run it however many times it takes.

I engrave powerdcoated suitcases, and it takes a pair of crosshatches at 1200s-100p-40hz to clear the coating and 3rd 90* pass at lower power/higher freq to get it bright white. But the aluminum beneath is fully engraved at this point. You have a little more leeway with stainless before it engraves, but not much. These things LOVE to engrave metal...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have noticed on mine that when I use speed much over 1000 that it seems to miss a lot of the engraving area. Even at higher power and multiple passes I have this issue. This is on all surfaces, not just pc items.

I modified these settings a bit for my purposes - what I came up with that worked really well is 700 speed, 10% power, 80 hz, 45 and 135 hatch at .07. One pass and I have nice shiny metal showing! If the coating is a bit thick then it might take two passes but so far one is working. Even with the double hatch and two passes, it was significantly faster than using .01 hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Matz View Post
    I was just testing the JDS black powder coated cup this morning. On my 30 watt fiber galvo I was using 700 speed, 5% power and 80 hz. 45 deg hatch .01.

It was removing the coating and polishing the metal under it. Much better results than I get on my Co2.

I did not try in on the rotary yet.
    IMG_20170403_142833.jpg

I just tested your settings. They are faster and look good. It is not as brightly polished as my settings. I will play with it more.

Blog Entries
    Guys, thanks for posting. I was working with my rotary yesterday (darn harder than the co2 rotary!) and had a cup I had powder coated that I was really working on bare section.
    my settings weren't touching the coating at all. I was way off from anything you posted, so I'll give them a go again.
    BTW, I had put some painter's tape on a piece of steel rod that I was working with. I couldn't get the laser to touch the tape! Darn funny machine!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Guys, thanks for posting. I was working with my rotary yesterday (darn harder than the co2 rotary!) and had a cup I had powder coated that I was really working on bare section.
    my settings weren't touching the coating at all. I was way off from anything you posted, so I'll give them a go again.
    BTW, I had put some painter's tape on a piece of steel rod that I was working with. I couldn't get the laser to touch the tape! Darn funny machine!
    This has nothing to do with powder coat, but if you simply want to get your alignment with a fiber, tape will not work, try foil and mark it with a wide Marks-a-lot, then mark it at low power.
    Last edited by John Kleiber; 04-06-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Blog Entries
    Yep, I saw your mention of that earlier, I do need to steal, uh borrow a bit from the kitchen..

Oh, tried my powdercoated cup that's my tester. Fiber just brittles up the coating at 100% power and I tried each of the settings above. Guess on my coatings il. Stick with CO2
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks guys I'm testing the settings today and will report back

11. Late .....

but what hat settings did you come up with?