Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BANDSAW: Grizzly 17" G0630x or 24" G0568 ??? Advice needed!

BANDSAW: Grizzly 17" G0630x or 24" G0568 ??? Advice needed!

Hello.

I have always dreamed of having a nice bandsaw, but never made the move to get one. I have had an 18” old style Grizzly for probably more than 20 years. Just not a great saw. Rarely use it. But I think if I had a good bandsaw, it would see a lot more use.

I have found Grizzly tools to be very satisfactory for my needs. Cost effective and good quality. I don't need the high end products but understand how nice they may be.

So now the question:

I actually decided that the 17” Grizzly G0630x Ultimate bandsaw at $2,650 was what I should buy.

Then recently I received the new Grizzly catalog, and while dreaming through it I noticed the 24” G0568 at $2,995.

So which should I buy?

The smaller saw attracted me because it looked like it was made to be capable of properly tensioning large blades. But the 24” saw appears to be equally competent in that regard.

The larger saw has greater throat depth naturally, and a large work table. The table does only tilt in one direction, where the smaller saw has a 5 degree reverse tilt. I am not sure that would make a difference to me.

Resaw height is about the same. Weight is proportionally roughly the same for the different inch capacities. Larger saw weighs about 200 pounds more.

I can fit the large saw in my shop without a problem and access is easy, direct entry from ground level.

I really need some help with this decision. I cannot see why the smaller saw should win the decision. It looks like the 17” saw was made to compete with import saws that are great products. Perhaps aimed at those who only have space for a smaller saw. But IF one has the room and ability to get the larger saw into his shop, the larger saw seems to give a bigger bang for the buck, even if it costs about $350 more.

Am I missing something here? (Except for finding a 10% off coupon, which will be what triggers my purchase…)

Please let me know your thoughts on this. I really value the experience and input of members here!

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You have a Grizzly and rarely use because it isn't a good saw, but want to buy another, this is kinda confusing. I would take a look at Rikon or try to find a used European saw.

You mention a lot of one versus the other comparisons, but you didn't say what you want to do with this saw. You're not using the one you have now, so do you have a need for a bandsaw in your shop? Do you need the extra throat depth you mention, or the 5* tilt in the other direction? Either of those models would be a very capable machine, but may or may not fit your needs depending on what you're looking to do.

And what's your budget? Are you bargain shopping for the sake of bargain shopping with that 10% off coupon? If you're looking for a great saw at a lower price, buy a used one.

A cheap 20 plus year old Grizzly in no way compares to what is available today. Sorry, end of story.

But if you have some specifics to share that would be great. A name alone is not enough...

Used could be an option...but I don't have a lifetime to wait to find that great deal anymore.

My question is an sincere one.

Bill

Of course I am a bargain shopper since I am willing to spend $3K on a saw. It will be the most expensive tool in my shop.

I really only asked for some advice between these two saws. I realize that the used market is always out there but at this point have not seen anything nearby that is appealing.

The above two posts are giving me negative vibes! Sorry I said the "G" word, but I have been very satisfied with my Grizzly purchases over the years. Otherwise I would not have specifically called them out in this post.

Did I make a mistake asking for advice here? So far this does not feel like SMC usually does...

Bill

Edit: Will, use your imagination. It is a bandsaw. I would use it for what band saws are used for. I have several bandsaws, they are all smaller though.
    Last edited by Bill Space; 04-03-2017 at 4:58 PM.

Bill,
    I have the 513X2 and love it but If I had the funds at the time I would have purchased the 514X2 just because. If your are already thinking about the larger saw, go for it. I don't see a down side if you have the space and money.

You said G0630X but I don't see that as a model in Grizzly's catalog. If you meant the G0636X then I can speak with first hand knowledge that it is a terrific, no regrets, bandsaw. The larger G0568 looks to be just about the same as the G0636X, just larger. Which you should buy depends upon how valuable width is to you. I had to get my saw down into my basement workshop so anything larger than the G0636X was not going to happen. But I wanted a Euro competitive saw with plenty of power and resaw height and the G0636X met those requirements. I've had it about 6 months now and have nothing but good things to say about it. It was as perfect as I could measure straight out of the crate and with a good blade on it it cuts beautifully. I use it for ripping thick stock, resawing, and slicing shop sawn veneer. I have a Lennox 1" x 1.3 tpi Woodmaster CT and it cuts wood as fast as I can feed it and gives a very smooth finish.

I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.

John

I have owned the 513X2BF for about 5 years now and have never been disappointed. I believe the upper tire slipped within the first year, but Grizzly support sent me 2 upgraded replacements under warranty, so that is a non-issue. The only issue with Grizzly bandsaws are not the saws themselves, but it seems when you start your journey of picking one, the small price jumps between models gets to be overwhelming trying to sort it all out. But for the saw itself, no problems. Would buy it again.

The 636 and 701 are a weight class above the 531 and 568, a 24" saw built like a 636 or 701 will be over 1000 pounds.

IMO for resawing I would pick the 636 or 701 for a general purpose saw with less emphasis on resawing the 531 or 568 make more sense. Don't fool yourself into thinking you get something you don't pay for especially within a single companies product line just be realistic about your actual use and one will likely float to the top as the best choice.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

So many times on this forum and others, people ask what (fill in the blank) should I buy. I think the first answer to that is... what are you going to use it for. If you have other band saws, and want a big one to do large resaw, then I would buy a large one capable of tensioning a carbide blade.

Before making a recommendation on a tool, knowing the application is critical. Before buyi new tool for myself, I ask myself the same question. I am sorry that you are getting bad vibes but to help you best, it is really helpful.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges on more than one level.

If you are willing to spend $3000 on a bandsaw, and you are a bargain shopper then I would recommend a 24" used Minimax, Laguna or Agazzani made in Italy. End of story.

I won't comment on why you want one or what you will do with it. But, if you are concerned about not using the older Grizzly you have now then you would be well advised to change directions.

Either saw will work well, check height going into a garage work shop or weight going into a basement workshop. I brought home a Powermatic 87 20 inch band saw and it just cleared the top of the garage door coming in.

I would buy the G603x. Right now I have a Walker Turner 14, a Jet 14 inch and the Powermatic in my shop. I still lust after the G603x in the worst sort of way. It is a very good choice.

OK, lets start over

For me spending $3K for a bandsaw is not bargain shopping. More power to anyone who thinks this is pocket change.

It may be a bit naive to expect a person to know today what he will need a bandsaw for tomorrow. So let's not worry about that.

I was simply trying to ask why the 24" saw was almost the same price as the 17" saw.

The 17" g0636x (mistake previously) weighs 620 lbs. The G0568 weighs 836 lbs. I know it is not all about weight, since it depends where the weight is used. A heavy noodle has little value, so to speak.

We we can all dream about that great deal that may come along tomorrow on a good used quality saw. At my age I do not have time to wait.

I get get the impression from Van's reply that if I want a general purpose saw, the larger one may be for me. If I wanted to resaw 16" wood all the time the 17" may be the better saw. But I do not expect to want to resaw 16" stuff all the time. Actually, I have a small bandsaw mill that can do 20"... but that is a different story.

I see see no reason to avoid green machines. I love my G1023RLWX Table saw and my G0490 jointer. My Grizzly 15" planer has also served me well.

I am am just trying to understand the differences between these two machines. I see a hint that the larger one will not tension a blade as well as the smaller one. Is this true for a 1" blade? Is there a reason why the larger one would not resaw as well as the smaller one?

Specifically, why would the larger saw be inferior to the smaller One? Or the other way around. I am unlikely to move on this tomorrow (especially since a spark plug blew out on my van's engine this morning. Another story $$).

Bill

First time you try to cut something that won't fit in the 17" saw, you would feel like a complete moron.

My question is why, if you rarely use a BS, you would drop $3,000 on one. Your old one can't be that ​bad. What don't you like about it?

Wade,

It is an old Grizzly 18" that never felt right to me. Hard to explain. I don't think it can tension a blade wider than a half inch properly, if that.

I think one moves towards tools that he enjoys using most. I think I rarely use this saw because it just does not feel good using it, for lack of a better answer.

Good tools are a pleasure to use. I guess that is my motivation.

Edit: I did not mean to say I do not use bandsaws much, but rather that I do not use the 18" Grizzly much. I have a couple smaller ones that I use more often.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 04-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.