Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Disconnect for Rotary

Quick Disconnect for Rotary

Hello Everyone ... I have a question about using a quick disconnect on my Rotary .... I was informed by the Vendor I couldn't do it on my Machine ?

I have 644XG Controller and a Microstepper Driver M542-05 .... I was thinking about using Microphone Din Coupler ... can anyone come up with a reason not to be able to do this ?

At present I have to disconnect the Y axis at the M542-05 and plug the Rotary in the same place .... it's a real pain and eventually I'm afraid of wearing the pins on the M542-05?

Also I've heard of people having Switches in conjunction with the Quick Disconnects .... would I need to add one and how and why ?

Sorry for all the questions .... I'm still learning

Thank You in Advance for any and all input

Brian
    Ray Fine 6040 80W RF Tube
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Book View Post
    Hello Everyone ... I have a question about using a quick disconnect on my Rotary .... I was informed by the Vendor I couldn't do it on my Machine ?

I have 644XG Controller and a Microstepper Driver M542-05 .... I was thinking about using Microphone Din Coupler ... can anyone come up with a reason not to be able to do this ?

At present I have to disconnect the Y axis at the M542-05 and plug the Rotary in the same place .... it's a real pain and eventually I'm afraid of wearing the pins on the M542-05?

Also I've heard of people having Switches in conjunction with the Quick Disconnects .... would I need to add one and how and why ?

Sorry for all the questions .... I'm still learning

Thank You in Advance for any and all input

Brian
    How good are you at wiring and soldering? And since you need to ask how to do this, I would assume your not?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hello Bill .... Wiring isn't so much an issue ... but why would I need to Solder ?

Brian
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Blog Entries
    Brian, I've been meaning to post this upgrade (at least that's what I think it is) that Ray Fine put on my machine.
    Let me take a few pictures and I'll try and get it done.
    Quick notes right now is that my rotary is three wires. (I think some are 4 and this should work it would just take a 4 pole switch.
    I have a connector on side, Yes, looks like a din coupler.

Wired from that to one side of a three pole double pole switch that is next to coupler.

Center poles are wired to the y axis output.

I've a different controller, but it is marked U, V and W.

Then the other side runs from switch to the Y stepper motor.

All you really need to add is switch, and connector, wire from connector to the switch, 4"-6" maybe and if not long enough from switch to your controller as you can get to that easily.

I'll add picts later.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    Here are some pictures.IMG_20170403_190600854.jpg
    Connection and switch outside
    IMG_20170403_190612248.jpgThree wires, you might need a four...

IMG_20170403_190729096.jpgInside, the switch, three pole, double throw.center to controller, side to y stepper, and to plug for rotary.
    IMG_20170403_191231847.jpgClose-up of wiring.
    Good luck!

Oh, I guess if you do 4 wires you could use a pair of switches that are 2 pole double throw. Would be easier to source. And yes I ALWAYS switch with power off! Might not have to, but I do!
    Last edited by John Lifer; 04-03-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Hello Bill .... Wiring isn't so much an issue ... but why would I need to Solder ?

Brian
    You said DIN connector for microphone. Your going to need to use either 3 or 4 wires for the stepper motor and it should also have a ground or shield wire. The chassis end you might be able to get with screw terminals. but the cable end I do not think so.
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-04-2017 at 8:09 AM.

I used Molex connectors. I cut the wires leading to the Y axis motor near the motor at the back of the machine and installed the Molex connectors. When I need to use the rotary I unplug it and then plug in the rotary's stepper. Power off, of course. Otherwise it sits on a shelf.

I'm wondering, how is a switch useful? Are you leaving the rotary in place even when it is not in use?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    ...need to use either 3 or 4 wires for the stepper motor and it should also have a ground or shield wire.
    Why? I've got dozens of stepper motors. Zero of them use shielding or ground wires.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Brian
    If you are looking for a supplier for switches here is a couple of choices for you:
    http://canada.newark.com/eaton/7692k...50v/dp/04M4787
    https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...2429-ND/378898
    Lyle Cheredaryk

Ray Fine 7050-80w EFR
    3 Jaw rotary
    4 Wheel rotary
    RDWorks 8.01.18
    CorelDraw 8
    Windows 7 & 8.1

Blog Entries
    Unplugging the rotary is irrelevant. I actually leave mine plugged up most of the time. The switch eliminates opening the base of the machine and unplugging the connector in the stepper controller and plugging in the rotary or vice versa when you go back to standard use. At some point you are going to damage one of those connectors/wires as they are not made to plug and unplug often. And the less I open the base, the less likely to screw something else up....

You just change setting in rdworks, cut off machine, flip switch, turn on machine and go. Easy peasy.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Blog Entries
    Bill, none of mine have shielded wire, I have noticed that at least on my machine, Ray Fine used multiple wire cables rather than individual wires with plastic coil around them as needed (where exposed). This is way better as you can much easier trace and they are more protected.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Well if you just want to git er done, just put a 4 wire flat trailer female plug on the controller end and use a male ends on the unit stepper motor wiring and rotary wiring. The plugs and wiring can be purchased as a trailer kit, and just use crimp on splices. You don't need a switch, just plug and un-plug as the case would be, with the power off of course. Not the way I would do it, but I was taught at a different school.

Blog Entries
    Love it Bill! Looking at the inside of a few chinese machines, Git'erDone would be a step up!
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Hi Everyone and Thank You for the replies .... John thanx a bunch for the Pictures .... but what I was thinking if I have my 4 wires from the Stepper Controller and put a Male Din Plug on the end of those and feed it through an opening at the side of my Machine .... and on the Rotary and Stepper Motor put Female Din Plugs .... that way I don't need the Rotary Plugged in when not in use ... also only one can be plugged in at a time.

Make sense ??

Now if I change the Rotary out ( power down of course ) .... and I have the Y axis plugged in and start the machine up and forget to change the program for no Rotary .... is there any possibility of Major damage ?

Thank You

Brian
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Now if I change the Rotary out ( power down of course ) .... and I have the Y axis plugged in and start the machine up and forget to change the program for no Rotary .... is there any possibility of Major damage ?
    The only things I change in the program for rotary usage is the step value and disabling homing for the Y axis. If I forget to return the settings to normal values the Y axis will remain motionless until commanded to move - then it will move without "knowing" where it is and could possibly crash into the end stops, which is unlikely to result in damage. The lack of homing at startup is a dead giveaway that the settings are not right - pretty hard to miss that.
    Gerber Sabre 408