Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Disconnect for Rotary

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Book View Post
    Hi Everyone and Thank You for the replies .... John thanx a bunch for the Pictures .... but what I was thinking if I have my 4 wires from the Stepper Controller and put a Male Din Plug on the end of those and feed it through an opening at the side of my Machine .... and on the Rotary and Stepper Motor put Female Din Plugs .... that way I don't need the Rotary Plugged in when not in use ... also only one can be plugged in at a time.

Make sense ??

Now if I change the Rotary out ( power down of course ) .... and I have the Y axis plugged in and start the machine up and forget to change the program for no Rotary .... is there any possibility of Major damage ?

Thank You

Brian
    You've got it backwards. The female end should allays be the hot end, (sorry ladies present) as the outlets in your walls are. Things you plug in should be the male end. Either way you can have just one at a time powered and it just won't work right if you forget.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    No, I don't understand Brian. Where are you putting the connector? Inside where you reach it ?Or on the outside? If outside are just going to run the cable from the stepper motor outside too? (Obviously, the rotary would be outside.) Switch is there to keep y axis cable inside machine.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Hi John .... I was going to put the Connector on the inside .... that way when I want to use the Rotary I just unplug the Y axis and plug in the Rotary

Hard to picture I know but in Theory it should work.

Brian
    Ray Fine 6040 80W RF Tube
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Blog Entries
    Brian,

Did Blanca ever say why it can't be wired with a plug?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Hi David .... no she didn't ... when I asked why the Rotary didn't have the quick disconnect she said my machine can not be done with them ? .... I just don't understand why it can't?

Brian
    Ray Fine 6040 80W RF Tube
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Book View Post
    Hi David .... no she didn't ... when I asked why the Rotary didn't have the quick disconnect she said my machine can not be done with them ? .... I just don't understand why it can't?
    I don't understand either. Maybe they don't want to introduce a potentially driver-destroying feature. If you forget to power down I think you have like a 50-50 chance of blowing up the driver. If the user has to unscrew terminals to change over the wiring it is much more likely that they will have the power off.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    But Rich, why put on larger machine? Sound like they don't want to change up features or add more complexity to their process.

I did search on the driver and it is a 4 wire driver, no reason not to be able to do it. Motor and controller doesn't care which way they are connected, as long as nothing is changed with power on.
    Last edited by John Lifer; 04-06-2017 at 8:04 AM.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

John,
    This (attached) was a reply to an Email I sent Bryant at Ray Fine about the subject. Seems they class that machine as an economic model. It would be nice if they clearly stated that fact somewhere. If they class it as such, that would explain the lack of plugs in my mind.Capture.JPG
    Lyle Cheredaryk

Ray Fine 7050-80w EFR
    3 Jaw rotary
    4 Wheel rotary
    RDWorks 8.01.18
    CorelDraw 8
    Windows 7 & 8.1

I doubt its an environmental issue with the machine not being done. Not putting plugs on is a cheap way out for them.

Bill
    If you are referring to the mention of an environmental problem in my attachment, that is in reference to the NPC and CPPCC sessions their government was holding. It was explaining the delays in making my machine.
    Lyle Cheredaryk

Ray Fine 7050-80w EFR
    3 Jaw rotary
    4 Wheel rotary
    RDWorks 8.01.18
    CorelDraw 8
    Windows 7 & 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Cheredaryk View Post
    Bill
    If you are referring to the mention of an environmental problem in my attachment, that is in reference to the NPC and CPPCC sessions their government was holding. It was explaining the delays in making my machine.
    Since there was a period after CPPCC. I read the next sentence as saying environmental issues were the problem. I hope it gets shipped soon regardless!

Actually it was just shipped this past weekend and is now on the slow boat to Canada.
    Lyle Cheredaryk

Ray Fine 7050-80w EFR
    3 Jaw rotary
    4 Wheel rotary
    RDWorks 8.01.18
    CorelDraw 8
    Windows 7 & 8.1

Blog Entries
    Let me translate the Chinglish. They can't put connectors on the machine of this size as it will cost them money for machining the cabinet, purchasing and installing the switch and connectors and their margin is already small because they are competing with the other Chinese laser companies for those 'economy' models. Now where RF is failing is to offer ADD-ONS! They don't understand us western folks and that we would probably pay decent money for specific changes. Who has ever bought a car without 50 options? And I know I'd have paid twice or maybe 10 times their cost for the switch and connector to be installed. And for that matter the remote that RDworks offers. Took me 10 minutes and that was including taking off and replacing covers.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

John,
    I would say a perfect translation.

Lyle
    Lyle Cheredaryk

Ray Fine 7050-80w EFR