Thread: Help designing concealment features into a bedroom set

Help designing concealment features into a bedroom set

Hello all

I'm looking to build my self a modern and custom bedroom set that incorporates hidden storage/concealment compartments for firearms, jewelry, and assorted valuable etc. i like the modern clean line look (think MCM or European design.. dare i say Ikea-esque)

I'll likely be using Walnut or Mahogany (cant decide yet) with aromatic cedar for the drawers bottoms and likely Baltic Birch for drawers and casework with appropriate solid wood edging.

I've done some woodworking before but never a project like this so I've enlisted the help of my very talented uncle to help me build this..but i have to finish my design first...

WHAT I NEED HELP WITH... is i cant find any "working plans" that modify for my set. so does anyone have a source for plans for concealment furniture? i'm attaching a few photos so its clear what types of stuff I'm looking for..
    DRESSOR GUN STORAGE.jpgGUN DRESSER.jpgHIDDEN DRAWER.jpgSLIDE OPEN TOP.jpg

*ALSO* looking for hardware and closure ideas... I'm thinking soft/self closing bottom mount slides and magnet locks so any insight on those would be great also

**I'm also reserving a few posts spots for pictures after I'm done so I can show what I've built**
    Last edited by Ron Sieracki; 04-03-2017 at 6:57 PM.

I can't help you with plans as I never use anyone else's. However, for concealment, the principle is to design a conventional cabinet and then make the changes like in your pictures.

For hardware, touch latches ate a good way to go for this application.

Is this fair dinkum about concealing a firearm near your bed? Cheers

well pretty much i want quality furniture... and i own guns.. i have no kids but plan to one day so i figure its a good idea to start with the bedroom set that incorporates features that will work for me in the long haul.

how bout a good dimensioned plan book for MCM or modern furniture?

Blog Entries
    To secure the doors I would suggest either key locks or magnetic key locks such as the one below.
    magnetic key lock.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

thanks, i had ordered a set of those on amazon a few days ago.. at 8 of them for around $21 its a great bargain. the ones i ordered attach with screws.. some of the others use a double faced tape so anyone ordering them be careful what you buy

You'll have some great furniture there if you build those. Just some thoughts: Hiding/protecting things from chldren and guests is one thing and burglars are another. Consider how it will hold up if someone attacks it with more force than finesse to dump the contents on the floor.

Don't rule out the bed for storage space. If you replace the box spring with a box you have a huge amount of room to work with and it's not as easily dumped - or even recognized as storage depending on how you do it. If you build it as 2 boxes each full length but half width it's more convenient to build and to move. If you make the boxes with a gap between you have a potential hidden space there.

Guns are a special case if you want one to be quietly accessible. You can create a gap between the mattress and the headboard to give storage for guns and other things.