Thread: Dark wood filler

Dark wood filler

Have noticed some guys use bondo for filling holes in wood. Tried it, and the results are good. Problem I have is the bondo I have found is white. So I have to color it before finishing. When I was young in the 60's, I bought a product called "black magic", which was a body filler colored black. Anyone aware of a black bondo product? Usually I am filling a knot hole in walnut, and lots of knots in walnut are black, so it would be a good color for me.

Jim,
    I googled "wood filler" and "black" together and a number of products came up, including this one on Amazon: "Minwax 13618000 Wood Putty, 3.75 Ounce, Ebony". (Sorry I couldnt capture the link but you can search for that item if interested.)

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-03-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Abatron makes powder dyes we use with their wood-epox. I wonder how they would react with bondo? Wood epox itself is a great filler you might consider if you need to fill large voids.

There's a brand I think "Plastic Filler" that comes in different wood colors. I'm not home so I don't take the exact name. Sawdust and glue also work.
    Don

Thanks for the replies, what I like about the bondo is it sticks so well, and you can fill a knot hole in one application, by putting a piece of paper on the bench under the board, then filling the hole completely by heaping it up a little, and not have to add more material later.

Stain your bondo with Transtint. You can get it in black. You'll only need a drop.

I color Z Poxy that I use for filling voids, using chalk dust. I have some black chalk line dust that can be mixed with the Z Poxy. Blue looks a bit like turquoise.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    When I was young in the 60's, I bought a product called "black magic", which was a body filler colored black.
    I never thought about using black magic for woodworking, but by the time I sold my '63 Corvair ion 1970, half the body was made of black magic.

I used black magic to fix a rust hole in my '57 Chevy, googled black magic, does not seem to be made anymore.

Blog Entries
    I build surfboards and the fin boxes and leash cups are black. I set them in epoxy that I color with either black printer toner or black dye- whichever I have on hand. I have also used black paint with no negative effect on the epoxy. All you need is a drop of black. It goes a long way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I used black magic to fix a rust hole in my '57 Chevy, googled black magic, does not seem to be made anymore.
    I miss my '57 Chevy; sold it to buy a wedding ring for my first marriage. The car was more faithful- should have kept it.

12. check out this link http://www.autogeek.net/bondo-restore-black.html , might this can help you

13. Since you have to mix in the catalyst any way, why not just mix in pigment? It would seen to be little to no extra trouble and you can choose the color for each mixing.