Thread: LV free shipping giving me ideas!

LV free shipping giving me ideas!

Well, that and a birthday coming up. Do I need any more tools? Probably not but...

Here is a few ideas:

1. Custom #5 1/2 to use as a Charlesworth style super smoother
    2. DX60 to pair with my LN #102
    3. SBUS (more versatile than a DX60?)
    4. Small shoulder plane (have medium)

There are a couple of LN tools I've been eyeing-- a #49 T&G to do the back of my ADB bookcase etc. or a rabbeting block plane.

I use the free shipping events to buy smaller items that would normally be made much more expensive due to minimum shipping costs. Last time it was a cabinetmakers mallet.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I bought the medium shoulder plane, and a 3/8 pmv11 mortise chisel.

4 days before they offered free shipping.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Rob- I use it for stuff that otherwise would not be worth the shipping, or large items that the shipping would otherwise kill me on. I got a router bit and some more Pica pencils and lead. I love the white lead for marking mahogany. I have a habit of losing the pencils, and then finding the, the day after ordering another. Today I found one on my nightstand. Never fails.

I had a little surprise as well- it seems I had put the winding sticks in my basket a couple of weeks ago, but said "naaaah- that's a waste of $30 for something I can make out of scrap." Well, it seems they were still in my cart. I did not notice until I had already checked out. The thought of an aluminum winding stick that doesn't move much, and that nests for storage, did intrigue me, but I think they are frivolous and admittedly a little silly. Well- now it seems I am getting a set. Life is like that sometimes. I shan't complain.

When is free shipping period? Thnk you,
    Jerry

It's April 4-18.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cunningham View Post
    I bought the medium shoulder plane, and a 3/8 pmv11 mortise chisel.

4 days before they offered free shipping.

Noob

You only make that mistake once.

The 11-pc. Screw Extractor Set looks interesting but I already have two sets of something similar.
    screw_extractor.jpg

The Lee Valley Hex Key Handles look like something that would be useful if hadn't already replaced my bog standard hex keys with decent colour coded Wera beauties.
    hex_handles.jpg

wera_hex.jpg

What I am interested in is the 10-Screwdriver Gripper. This looks exactly the same as the Tekton that Amazon sells for nearly twice the price. I like the fact that at the bottom there are holding capabilities for the shorties.
    screwdriver_gripper.jpg
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thanks Phil...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    It's April 4-18.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I got a router bit and some more Pica pencils and lead. I love the white lead for marking mahogany. I have a habit of losing the pencils, and then finding them the day after ordering another. Today I found one on my nightstand. Never fails.
    True story- today I found my other two Pica pencils. Oh well- one for each color. I wish they made these in different colors so I know which one is loaded with which lead. The sharpener/holster, ease of advancing lead, and interchangeable colors of lead is why I like these so much. They are a bit on the pricey side, but they last- assuming I don't lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Noob

You only make that mistake once.

What I am interested in is the 10-Screwdriver Gripper. This looks exactly the same as the Tekton that Amazon sells for nearly twice the price. I like the fact that at the bottom there are holding capabilities for the shorties.
    screwdriver_gripper.jpg
    The wife was after me to buy sonething for my b-day. I kept telling her I was waiting for the free shipping deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cunningham View Post
    The wife was after me to buy sonething for my b-day. I kept telling her I was waiting for the free shipping deal.

Happy birthday then!

Next time just buy a gift card, no shipping and you get to use it for those free shipping events.

I have been enjoying the low angle jack plane so much I purchased a bevel up smoother, bevel up jointer to complete my set of bevel up planes, and medium router plane with 1/2" blade.

Due to the weight of the jointer and smoother I can only imagine what shipping might have cost.

Oh well I've got some work to do now

I'll order a green polishing stick in addition to other items.....
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Archi View Post
    I have been enjoying the low angle jack plane so much I purchased a bevel up smoother, bevel up jointer to complete my set of bevel up planes, and medium router plane with 1/2" blade.

Due to the weight of the jointer and smoother I can only imagine what shipping might have cost.

Oh well I've got some work to do now
    Lee Valley only charges extra shipping costs when the weight is excessive. I've never been charged extra and I've bought the heaviest, the shooting plane.