Thread: portable dust collector setup for mainly direct exhaust?

portable dust collector setup for mainly direct exhaust?

Greetings! After lurking for quite some time, I finally decided to register and post a question on something that has been bugging me. How do I smartly address dust for my situation?

My ghetto garage wood shop is getting a greatly needed upgrade to deal with my woefully inadequate power and dust collection capabilities. In a week or so, I'll have a couple dedicated 20A@220v outlets put in. This means I won't have to run an adapter cable from the dryer outlet to the table saw and jointer, and won't have to run a 12awg extension cable from an outside outlet on another circuit when I run the shop vac and planer, ...my garage currently has a single 110V 15A circuit.

The driver for the new outlets is, I want a real dust collection solution instead of my lowly mast + dustdeputy/shopvac sad excuse for dust control, but I'm not sure what is the best practice or tool for the job for my situation. I do have concerns of fine dust so dealing with that properly is important. (I have some wood dust allergies which is why I run with garage open and mask in addition to shopvac, which seems to work, but I want better)

Constraints:
    1) I live semi-rural. The closest neighbor windows are about 150 ft from the garage, so I can easily vent outside and not bother a neighbor.
    2) budget allows up to a 2HP system. I could swing upwards of 1.5k, but less is always nicer if it isn't necessary to spend.
    3) Wife has OK'd me punching a hole through the wall if necessary.
    4) I usually work with the garage door open, so heating and negative pressure issues aren't an issue for me.

My Thoughts:
    1) get a semi efficient cyclone separator (jet/grizzly/laguna etc?) and wheel it out the garage about 5-10 ft when in use (DC1 in figure). Not sure how long of a 4" hose to the machines I could get away with or if I'd need a 6 and neck down near the saw/jointer etc.
    2) get a semi efficient cyclone cyclone separator, remove the filter, and adapt a hose to exhaust far from the garage without moving the DC outside (how far? I'm guessing I'd need a 6" hose for this)
    3) get a bag filter dust collector such as the Grizzly G0548ZP, remove the bag filter, put a Thien baffle in the collar, then exhaust the fines far from the garage (blower is before separation)
    4) a little more DIY #3 to remount the blower so it is after the separation.
    5) #2,3,4 but through the wall instead of away from the garage (DC2). I suppose this wouldn't need to be portable

I'm attaching an image of the area layout and rough garage setup.

I want this to be effective, but not so DIYish that it gets in the way or becomes counter productive to the budget and time. I'd rather spend my time getting other stuff built.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am using the 2 HP Harbor Fright DC with a Thien baffle before the blower that is vented outside. I do primarily wood turning and I create a lot of long stringy shavings.

For a saw, you could probably get by with the separator either before or after the blower. But I think that with a jointer you're going to plug up the DC very quickly with longer shavings.

The Thien baffle is easy to make and works well. I'm estimating that it separates between 95% and 98% of all material. Outside I don't seem to be getting any noticeable build up of shavings or dust. As a benefit of exhausting outside, the noise is less inside. I mounted my blower on a wall shelf directly above the trash can and vented through the wall using a 5" dryer vent with a flapper. There are a bunch of Youtube videos on the Thien baffle including adapting the 2 HP HF dust collector (which is what I did). You just need to make sure that you put in foam seals so you aren't leaking air between the pieces.

If you bought the Super Dust Deputy (Oneida) and the 20 gal can, it will set you back $380.

If I had it to do over I would get;

2HP - Single Phase Motor Blower: 1350CFM https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC250SEMB.html

ONEIDA AIR SYSTEMS Super Dust Deputy Molded Cyclone Only https://www.amazon.com/ONEIDA-SYSTEM...er+dust+deputy

Eagle 1601MBBG Drum with Metal Band and Plastic Lid with Bungs, 30 gal, Blue https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-1601MBB...ow+molded+drum

I have a jet Blower that I got new from Craigslist, but everything else is as listed. I mounted the blower on the wall above the cyclone and then put a short section of 6" flex down to the drum. Exhaust thru the wall, all in the corner. Takes up very little space, runs quite and works great.
    Last edited by Steve Cowart; 04-05-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Tony,

I completely agree with Steve get a blower and SDD combo and make a cart like the attached, and don't bother with the filter.

Carl

I think you're plan is good. I would keep the 4" flex down to less than 12'. Penultimate ^ has a good example of a setup for mobile collection that would be good for you. If you're trying to save money, rather than buy the whole setup (I think some blower/cyclones can be ordered without filters) I think the lowest cost unit would be the HF blower & SDD cyclone (however overrated they are in terms of CFM lots of people think they work) . It is very difficult to find just a blower, but in your case, if you are collecting one machine at a time a 1 1/2HP blower will work fine if you can find a used DC. Even though you shouldn't get hardly anything out the exhaust if the cyclone is working well I would still attach a hose just to be sure nothing can get back into shop.

A Rubbermaid Brute trash can will work you don't need to spend $$$'s. I stapled a road bike inner tube to the lip for seal.

I would caution you that better DC and ventilation do not will preclude the need for a dust mask!

+1 on the Super Dust Deputy and blower setup.

I have exhausted mine outside at two separate home shops, using a cyclone without the filter. No appreciable dust build up on anything but the rim of the exhaust. My current setup exhausts 6' away, and pointed right at a stucco building. No problem.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll see about waiting on sales about cobbling together a SDD setup.. The Penn State blower seems like it is well reviewed, just expensive. A shame that the TEMP1425S isn't around. Seems like I could have use it as a wall mount with direct exhaust as is and the price was right.

Around here there always seems to be a DC on Craig's List, worth a check. The Penn State blower may not be around too much longer as they are out of the Dust Collection business.

Carl

Tony,
    jus wondering what you have done with your D.C. System? Where are you located? I ask because it appears due to the scrubb brush you maybe in West Texas, just guess? The reason I ask your elevation maybe something to consider on what Blower you select.

This is what I built from a HF DC and a Supper Dust Deputy and a Wynn 35A nano filter my ducting is 5 inch HVAC the tube between the SDD is a 6 inch HVAC take off, I made a new fan cover plate out of MDF it all fits well together.

Lane
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. With a $1500 budget why not get a Clearvue cv1800 without filters and vent straight outside? The thing will give you plenty of airflow if you use 6" ducting. A bargain compared to what we pay for the same jnin Australia.