Thread: sliding table saw issue

sliding table saw issue

my saw is a minimax s315 i bought about 2 years ago no problems with it great saw . but the sliding table set from factory is 1.3mm higher then the cast iron surface so far it hasn't effected anything i have done so i never payed any attention to it but now it is a issue. how high should i calibrate the saw to the slider and any guide on how to do so ? 1.3mm / .05 is way to much.

.002-.004 depending on how flat the table is. Charlie Plesum has a site solowoodworker.com that explains Minimax machines very well. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    .002-.004 depending on how flat the table is. Charlie Plesum has a site solowoodworker.com that explains Minimax machines very well. Dave
    thanks .002 it is then

I should add that you also need to verify that the cast iron table is flat and not high or low on the corners. I use a Starrett Master Machinist level but a true straightedge will work. Surprising how often slider alignment issues are really because the cast iron reference is off. You will also find that extrusions are not perfect and sometimes the ends will vary by .005-.008. aim for a compromise and remember that if you loosen the mounting bolts, you need to check that the table still runs parallel to the blade or toes out no more than .002. Makes you only want to do it once. Dave

How solid is the cabinet ?
    I found that with my startrite 200kg machine's sliding table had the same issue after bringing it home.
    I realised after a while, it was the floor that was deflecting the cabinet.
    Try moving it somewhere flat.
    Tom

i think its like 1600ish pounds

my floor was installed on drunken friday there are low spots like .5'' and high spots worse lol i took some 2 by 12s and jointed planed and glued them together then leveled the mechine off those so i know the mechine is level. i tried to put my j/p on a mobile base and one corner was a solid inch off the ground where it needed to be parked so every thing gets leveling feet now.

ill take your advice though and do this in a few weeks. anything i missed ?
    1. level machine
    2. level cast iron
    3. set slider height
    4. level slider
    5. set slider parallel to blade
    6. set crosscut at 90
    7. cry softly into a pillow since i just got the slider parallel to the blade a few weeks ago

Correct although you can insert #7 after any step. Dave

The wagon on my S315WS is a "proverbial hair" above the cast iron. 1.3mm is very much excessive, IMHO. You only need enough to insure there is no friction from material dragging on the cast iron table as you move it through the cut.

BTW, cast iron bends/flexes...I know this very clearly from when I installed my Stubby lathe and went through the spindle to tailstock alignment process. The saw also needs to be setup "level" on the floor to insure there's no variance along the length of the wagon's movement for cabinet flex.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...