Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bloxygen?

Bloxygen?

I had not heard of this, but it sounded interesting. Anyone ever use it?

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_070816_overstock.htm
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I bought it to use on Waterlox. In the screw top can (Waterlox original), it does slow down the curing process in a partially used can, but it doesn't seem to stop it completely. Once the can is half empty, 2 months is about the outside limit in my experience. In a regular style quart of satin, it worked much better (6 months and counting). I'm not sure why, but suspect the small opening on the screw top can caused some sort of back pressure that pulled some of the Bloxygen back out of the can.

I started using it on partially opened cans of Arm-R-Seal and after a few months the finish looks unchanged. Before a half empty can would gel in a few weeks or less.

John

I use it on arm-r-seal too. Works as advertised it seems. Trick is to keep the fluid level as high as possible no matter what, so transfer to a mason jar then apply bloxygen.

That is a great idea..will have to get some!

Works well to preserve WaterLox

It's just argon gas. $10 for that little bottle is also probably the most expensive argon gas in the world. Might be cheaper to go to your welding gas supplier and buy a "lecture bottle" of argon.

http://www.winevine-imports.com/priv...RJbhgoduP8B0Q/

Same stuff, $8 / each. I've had Bloxygen cans drain themselves after 6 months so won't be buying from them agan.

Blog Entries
    Bloxygen has been around since at least 2009 and there have been several discussions here on SMC if you search for Bloxygen you can locate them.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Won't any gas that displaces the oxygen work? Nitrogen? Helium?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Whatever gas is used needs to be heavier than oxygen (hence helium is not an option) and non-reactive.

I worked with an OLD feller who told me to just slightly crack the can lid and exhale several times into the container. Hmmmmm? Make sense? Yep! CO2 and nitrogen (some oxy. for sure). Been doing it for over 40 years. Never spent huge bucks for argon gas.
    My finishes don't know the difference.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I worked with an OLD feller who told me to just slightly crack the can lid and exhale several times into the container. Hmmmmm? Make sense? Yep! CO2 and nitrogen (some oxy. for sure). Been doing it for over 40 years. Never spent huge bucks for argon gas.
    My finishes don't know the difference.
    Bill
    Regular air is 21% oxygen; exhaled air is 18% oxygen. I doubt the 3% reduction in oxygen content is really making much difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Regular air is 21% oxygen; exhaled air is 18% oxygen. I doubt the 3% reduction in oxygen content is really making much difference...
    Breathe into a bag until you're dizzy, then exhale into can. Should do the trick. (...Hey, Its Friday. Sarcasm is allowed. Right?)

http://www.specialtybottle.com/glass...ounds/4oz-brf4

I use these. I buy them in bulk but @ 0.77/pc it's a good buy bkz you can reuse them.

1 32 oz can of waterlox will dispense into 8 of these bottles to the top. Each bottle can (should) remain unopened with almost no oxygen in the headspace until used. I find 4 oz a convenient denomination to work in. Almost zero waste this way and no guess work. When the bottle's empty, wash with mineral spirits and let dry and reuse.