Thread: Polishing for rehab bench planes?

Polishing for rehab bench planes?

A few months ago, I bought some restored STANLEY planes from a dedicated woodworker.....I was impressed when I saw his planes and later, when I got them home by their lustre, polish on the planes and even, the shining tops of the bolts holding the frog etc...

I have done my share of cleaning, restoring older STANLEYS with cleaners, wire wheel, DREMEL, steel wool etc but I have never polished the individual parts..I'm told of guys using a green bar or a jeweler's rouge or polishing compound on a wheel to do that...I once tried a metal cleaner as well as Brasso with limited results.. Have to admit I'm not skilled in this area. The heads of the screws, bolts do look better when polished and bright.

What's been your experience in this? Any particular products, bars or compounds you use with success...Or a method you prefer?
    Thanks in advance....Forgive me for these simple questions..Been a woodworker most of my life but these are uncharted, new waters for me. Thanks
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    I used to polish bolts and such with Scotch Brite pads and fine sandpaper. The bolts would be chucked in a drill motor to help.

It looks nice but doesn't add much in use beside personal satisfaction. Though for me a fresh coat of enamel does make a plane more enjoyable to use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Before ...

... and after ...

This was done using a fine deburring wheel on a drill press, finishing with green compound and a cloth wheel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I dont polish mine. I want to keep the old patina earned by years of use.

When I need to flatten them - I use fine sandpaper on a granite surface plate.

That works well enough.

I am suspicious of a lot of polishing on things that need to be flat and square. Its easy to knock square and true surfaces out of whack with an aggressive polishing.

Is the green compound the one to use for polishing?? Apply it to polishing wheel in bench grinder?
    Jerry

Chuck a washcloth into a palmsander, charge it with that Green Stick...and run it on anything you want polished up....

Blog Entries
    The green compound or jeweler's rouge will only polish clean metal. Any pits will still show.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pretty much Evapo Rust, scotchbrite pads, fine sandpaper (800+ grit), and wax. Spent extra time on this one...it was my Dad's plane (found years after he passed away when Mom was wanting to clean out the garage). I joke about people with paint all over their tools...not sure what compelled him to paint a big "M" on the side...

Before:
    IMG_1298.jpg IMG_1299.jpg

After:
    IMG_1306.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 04-05-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Phil, excellent results!!!! You are a man of patience to restore it so well to its former glory..The "M" probably stood for your last name to prevent theft!!! We all tend to give projects extra effort when our family is involved...as we should....Really fine results!!! Thanks.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    ...not sure what compelled him to paint a big "M" on the side...

Before:
    IMG_1298.jpg
    well DUH, When he took it anywhere, he could always say "yeah that one with the big M is MMMMMINE". And if you look at it upside down, you say WWWWWaht? I am sure it has nothing to do with your last name!

Also, if it were stolen, it would be pretty easily identified. It is why my father engraved his name on a few items.

Usually, when a plane comes into the shop..
    trade planes.JPG
    I try the brass wire wheels, both on the grinder, and in the drill press. Sometimes a more rougher approach is needed.
    beltsander.JPG
    To get rid of the worst of the stuff
    sole.JPG
    Belt is a worn down 80 grit.....since the rehab shop is chemical-free, other than PB Blaster I use other things to "polish" the sides
    right side.JPG
    sandpaper in a palmsander... The belt sander is usually the first step to get the chipbreaker tuned up, and the bevel on the iron re-done. Most times, it is to go from an edge like this ~ to and edge like this -
    guide work.JPG
    Then the oil stones and wet-n-dry paper up to 2500 grit, and then the strop
    test drive.JPG
    Then a test drive. Any polishing is from the wire wheels, or a palmsander with fine grit paper..
    view 1.JPG
    This is usually as polished as the ironworks get. handles are wiped down with a rag with some Simple Green spritz on the rag.
    Ready to be used in my shop...YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Usually, when a plane comes into the shop..
    trade planes.JPG
    I try the brass wire wheels, both on the grinder, and in the drill press. Sometimes a more rougher approach is needed.
    beltsander.JPG
    To get rid of the worst of the stuff
    sole.JPG
    Belt is a worn down 80 grit.....since the rehab shop is chemical-free, other than PB Blaster I use other things to "polish" the sides
    right side.JPG
    sandpaper in a palmsander... The belt sander is usually the first step to get the chipbreaker tuned up, and the bevel on the iron re-done. Most times, it is to go from an edge like this ~ to and edge like this -
    guide work.JPG
    Then the oil stones and wet-n-dry paper up to 2500 grit, and then the strop
    test drive.JPG
    Then a test drive. Any polishing is from the wire wheels, or a palmsander with fine grit paper..
    view 1.JPG
    This is usually as polished as the ironworks get. handles are wiped down with a rag with some Simple Green spritz on the rag.
    Ready to be used in my shop...YMMV
    Thanks Steve....sounds good....Your results are big change,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Before ...

... and after ...

This was done using a fine deburring wheel on a drill press, finishing with green compound and a cloth wheel.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Excellent results...Thank you Derek..
    Jerry