Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walk away from these bowl blanks?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Walker View Post
    Perfect for testing some painting, staining, dyeing, texturing techniques. Also great for a junk bowl. For out in the garden, or nuts and bolts in the shop.
    This! and yes to the CA. A lot of good practice -- someday you might want to fill a crack in a Koa bowl, or ... But do play with the shape more after filling with some CA

There have been times when I've had a vessel with a crack that I ended up filling with sawdust and CA or sawdust and epoxy or coffee grounds and epoxy or CA. If they are hairline cracks I've sometimes just filled with medium CA. But I've also moved some to the firewood pile if the cracks were too severe and/or if they wouldn't look very nice with a filled crack.

On one silver maple natural edge bowl with cracks, I decided to use it for practice. I added a couple of contrasting "bow-ties" (sipo mahogany) or dutchmen to stabilize it. I learned a bunch. I get a lot of comments from people looking at that piece remarking how much they like it.

I've also filled some wider cracks with a turquoise-colored filler. On some I've even added a small amount of fine glitter. If you don't go overboard, it can look very nice.

So, if you have the interest, use the cracked vessels for practice.

BTW, on a few occasions when I questioned the structural integrity of a piece, I'll wrap it with stretch-wrap and perhaps filament tape. I may also fill the cracks. I don't want to take any significant risks. I don't need any new injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Walker View Post
    Perfect for testing some painting, staining, dyeing, texturing techniques. Also great for a junk bowl. For out in the garden, or nuts and bolts in the shop.
    I once made the ugliest bowl in the universe and had it in a pile for burning when my vet saw it. I gave it to her for cat food on the promise she would NEVER tell who made it.

Some time later I went to an event at her house and there was the bowl on the table holding snack mix or something. When I walked up she said "Hey everyone, this is John. He's the one who made this bowl!" Ack.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I once made the ugliest bowl in the universe and had it in a pile for burning when my vet saw it. I gave it to her for cat food on the promise she would NEVER tell who made it.

Some time later I went to an event at her house and there was the bowl on the table holding snack mix or something. When I walked up she said "Hey everyone, this is John. He's the one who made this bowl!" Ack.

JKJ
    oh John, are you sure you don't have a picture somewhere? (And if so would you post it)? Any commission work from that "showing"?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Another optionIMG_0462.jpg

I'd toss the second one. But the ambrosia maple one, I'd probably keep. I suspect that crack will hold fine. If it were me, I would have run some CA into the crack, then completed it. I like the form of that one. I wouldn't toss. Your call.

I really hate to waste my time on junky wood, but if I already invested an hour, I'd put CA and fine sawdust of contrasting wood in the crack, and turn to finish. I had a hollow form blow out on me, so I flat sanded the area of the missing piece and glued a piece of OO with Titebond 2 to fill up the void. I presented it Tuesday night at show and tell and said it was a 2 segment hollow form. Good practice, and will make a great gift.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Steve, turning bowls with cracks is a risk. My suggestion is that you don't try until you have a lot of experience turning. Picture below is from a bowl I turned and notice a very tight crack, barely visable. I had already finished sanding the outside and some enhancement. There was just a little tearout on the inside I thought I could clean up. I did put CA on it before my attempt. Maybe if I had more experience I may have saved it. My speed was at the high end for a bowl that size and I suspect the crack opened some and the gouge caught it and the bowl exploded. Faceshield and out of the line of Fire, but several small pieces hit the shield.
    IMG_0814.JPG
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Steve, turning bowls with cracks is a risk. My suggestion is that you don't try until you have a lot of experience turning. Picture below is from a bowl I turned and notice a very tight crack, barely visable. I had already finished sanding the outside and some enhancement. There was just a little tearout on the inside I thought I could clean up. I did put CA on it before my attempt. Maybe if I had more experience I may have saved it. My speed was at the high end for a bowl that size and I suspect the crack opened some and the gouge caught it and the bowl exploded. Faceshield and out of the line of Fire, but several small pieces hit the shield.
    IMG_0814.JPG
    Glue it together and submit it to a gallery. Looks like Art to me...

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Glue it together and submit it to a gallery. Looks like Art to me...

JKJ
    I tried gluing, but wasn't happy withe the results. So I'm making an urn. I really liked that bowl!

IMG_0383.jpg

Blog Entries
    Pass them on to a gardener , drill two holes and let them go they will last a year or two and be enjoyed better than burning .