Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many marking gauges do you have?

I mostly use a Veritas dual wheel marking gauge, which I really like. However some recent work has me thinking I need a couple more types, but I'm not sure I've seen the types I'm thinking of. I plan to make them myself, but I'm curious if any of you have something like these.

One is a mortise gauge with the reach of a panel gauge. This would be for marking mortises on wide pieces, like for joining a divider to a carcass side with multiple through-mortises. Most mortise gauges only go out to 6" or so...I'd like to be able to go out to perhaps 16". I know this can be done by transferring marks from another board, but this can be sketchy on a very porous wood like red oak. With a gauge there should be no second guessing whether that is really a knife tick or a wood pore. I've also used a combo square and it's pretty tedious.

The other is for marking a thickness line on a live edge or waney board. The wheel gauge blade is only an 1/8" or so deep, so if the edge isn't reasonably flat and square to the reference face, the blade can't reach the area where it needs to mark. Most gauges try to keep the blade exposure short to minimize flex, which is great except for this situation. The solution is straightforward enough, just make a single blade gauge with a thick, rigid blade that extends maybe 1" or so past the beam. Just curious if anyone else has something like that.

Eight here, including a TiteMark (my go to), a Bridge City Toolworks Panel Gauge, and a handful of wooden and metal ones from various sources.

TedP

My collection
    - 4" Hamilton
    - 6" Hamilton
    - LV single wheel
    IMG_1449.JPG

Blog Entries
    That would depend on what qualifies as a marking gauge:

Many Ways to Leave a Mark.jpg

The try square was drilled by a previous owner. It was found at an estate sale. The finger grip is my doing, something many of my try squares have added or in reality, subtracted.

Try Square As Marking Gauge.jpg

The try square, combination square and the gauges to the left are not used much compared to the others. The story sticks have been used with a pencil as marking gauges. The Odd Jobs works better for short distances from an edge. The combination plane with a slitter can make an excellent marking gauge. It will cut fairly deep, that is why it has a depth gauge with the slitter blade.

A combination square and the Odd Jobs are both good for stepped marking. This can be useful in laying out repeated drill centers for shelf supports.

The rosewood gauge is for marking mortise and tenons.

Most used would be a toss up between the Odd Jobs and the Tite MarkŪ gauge followed by the two wooden Stanley gauges.

There are two or three more combination squares and a few more combination planes. Even without a slitter a combination plane or any plane with a fence and a spur can be used to leave a controlled mark.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-12-2017 at 5:58 PM. Reason: added try square image
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I ran across an old photo of some of the herd, like I posted I've a marking gauge jones but day to day less than ten are used. Some gauges work better than others for some jobs, I've never found the perfect gauge although the TiteMark comes close.

ken

Ok Ken, you need some serious hep son.
    David

Blog Entries
    Two. But I only use one.

i have a wodden Crown and a Titemark. I use the Titemark almost exclusively.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Ok Ken, you need some serious hep son.
    Ain't that the truth

ken

Blog Entries
    Nice work Ken! Whenever my wife asks if I have enough tools I will show that photo
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Nice work Ken! Whenever my wife asks if I have enough tools I will show that photo
    Brian,

Glad to help . Anytime you need backup I expect I can provide a photo. I'm really not a tool collector, yeah right Bubba, but I do seem to like trying things most of which end up stuck on a shelf.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I ran across an old photo of some of the herd, like I posted I've a marking gauge jones but day to day less than ten are used. Some gauges work better than others for some jobs, I've never found the perfect gauge although the TiteMark comes close.

ken
    Observation: Keep the truck, RAV4 not near big enough.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Brian,

Glad to help . Anytime you need backup I expect I can provide a photo. I'm really not a tool collector, yeah right Bubba, but I do seem to like trying things most of which end up stuck on a shelf.

ken
    I think this is called being a tool collector by accident or circumstance, hah! ...wasn't the intention, but somehow it just happened.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Observation: Keep the truck, RAV4 not near big enough.
    Jim
    James,

A lot of truth in that. I've pretty much made that decision, besides I need the truck to carry the portable work bench and the smaller tool chest.

ken