Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many marking gauges do you have?

Blog Entries

How many marking gauges do you have?

DSC07739 (Medium).JPG

I have eight counting the two pin marking gauges. I have four Stanley Gauges, a 61, 77 and one which is a slot marking gauge.
    One of the Stanley's have two beams with single pins opposite each other.

I have three home made gauges . I can't count, there are four home made gauges.
    One is a cutting gauge, one with two pins at 1/2" apart and the other a single pin gauge.

I also have a two blade cutting gauge.

I made the gauges after reading an article in Pop Wood magazine.

I just wonder if I am tilted somehow, or are there others with the same affliction.

I can't count, I also have two wheel gauges.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-05-2017 at 5:28 PM.

Not there yet. I have four. One wooden Crown with one and two pin option, one Titemark, one Veritas single wheel, and one Veritas double rod/wheel. The only add I'm looking to get is a panel guage. Guages are cool. Even thought I don't think I need any more, I'm sure I wouldn't walk away from a reasonably priced yard or estate sale one or two...

On last count I could round up over 30, of those less than 10 are in daily use.

Just to add, there is no one gauge that is perfect for all tasks. Hense the need fro several different gauges for any one project.

Hmmm...all I have is just a simple, all wood, single pin gauge...

Should I feel deprived?
    DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0003.JPGDSCF0002.JPG
    Maybe?
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-05-2017 at 5:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Steven,

You might want to consider a cutting gauge. There's times when I find I really need it. That's why I made it.

Also, the two pin gauges are really handy for marking mortises. The three pin Stanley is my favorite gauge. It adjusts to mark mortises of any width on one side and the other side of the gauge is one pin.

I have eight: Two LV, four Tite-Marks, and two Taylor tools. Plus an old pin gauge which I never use.

[Oh, and I forgot the LV double ended one that I have. Not a micro adjust. That makes ten.]

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-06-2017 at 4:14 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

3. Two from LV. One home made.

Not really sure. At least three or four.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    On last count I could round up over 30, of those less than 10 are in daily use.
    I also have less than 10 in daily use. I have one that I use. Its an LV gage. I have 2 homemade knife gages that I'm working on (very slowly). Most of the time I use my Starrett type adjustable square.

Three pre-set mortise gauges,1 marking pin, 1 cutting gauge,oh, and a panel gauge,, all homemade,once I started couldn't stop.

I'll keep a lookout during this years Rust Hunts, but...so far all I had needed is that one. A 6" combo square and a sharp knife also works nicely..

In those old Chinese Wood Working Videos ( GE Hong) The woodworker there has a simple block of wood, with a curved edge, and four "cutters" sticking out. He can set any to the sizes he is working on, and mark about any mortise with a single swipe. Same gauge can be made with four allen wrenches, sharpened along one edge. Tap to adjust each. You rotate to engage which of the four cutters you want to use. Might be worth checking out?

Too many? Nah! Five Tite-Mark cutting gauges (in various sizes/blade configurations), a Veritas Dual Marking Gauge, a Veritas Pocket Marking Gauge, two of my grandfather's pin marking gauges, a terribly ugly shop-made one (I made it, so I can say that) and a vintage mortise gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Fitzpatrick View Post
    Too many? Nah! Five Tite-Mark cutting gauges (in various sizes/blade configurations), a Veritas Dual Marking Gauge, a Veritas Pocket Marking Gauge, two of my grandfather's pin marking gauges, a terribly ugly shop-made one (I made it, so I can say that) and a vintage mortise gauge.
    Megan, you're my kind of girl!

I must admit to a liking for wheel gauges. I have 2 Tite-Marks, which I like a lot, but then I also like the Veritas stainless steel ones that came without a fine adjuster as much (these were available for a short while, and a real bargain - I purchased two).

The Veritas dual marking gauge is excellent, although I am not convinced that one needs a reversed blade when the wheel cuts such a fine line.

I like the wheel style so much I even built one of my own design.

I also have a few woodies. The best is a Kinshiro mortice cutting gauge, which is no longer available. I liked the ergonomics of the design so much that I built a few versions, which include both single irons ..

Alongside the Kinshiro ...

.. and a double cutter for mortices ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-06-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Derek,

Following your article at the time, I bought a Kinshiro and modified it like you suggested, except I did not do the inlay. Maybe I'll go back and finish the modification. Can you post the article again please

Also, an article of interest is :

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar..._marking_gauge
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-06-2017 at 2:25 PM.