Thread: Dust collection drum expansion

Dust collection drum expansion

I have 2 grizzly 2 HP cyclones. Long story.

They come with small canisters, and I can fill one in VERY short order with the 20" planer and 16" jointer running. I am going to increase to a 55 gal drum, but other thoughts? 2 drums, box, ??

Thanks.

Can you lift a 55 gallon drum full of chips? Mine is 35 gallons, wouldn't want it any larger...

I can or my Deere certainly can.

I have a 55gallon fiber drum and its easy to move and empty

You can use as large a recepticle as you can configure in your available space...as long as it's completely sealed when connected to the cyclone. Any air leaks will result in blow-by and clogged filters. Shape doesn't matter, either, although "rounded" tends to empty easier.

I use a 55 gallon fibre drum. Even it can fill up fast when face jointing and planing on my J/P...incredibly fast.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-06-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Look at building a Thien Baffle and using it at the machines. I do this as my cyclone is in rear of shop, but my jointer and planer us are on slab in front of shop. In my old age, I finally got tired of sending shavings to cyclone in rear of shop, and then toting them back to front slab for disposal. Catch them where they are produced

Bruce, the downside to that method is that you're decreasing the efficiency of the system, but if you have enough throughput, it will certainly work. Of course, bin size still matters with "big chip producers" so it may not solve the OP's issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a 50 gallon plastic drum, and can fill it in 20 minutes when planing boards. It is nice to have someone help me carry it, but I can slide it along by myself. Has a nice ridge around the top where I can get a grip.

I have a 2hp Griz cyclone wall mounted in an attached shed and elevated it to fit a 55 gal steel drum. I welded 1/2" pipe across the bottom of the barrel to make two axels, found 4 old wheels from a push mower, attached the wheels with inserts in the pipe and have a tow-a-way chip catcher. I have a large pile of chips on the ground so I don't have to lift to empty. Makes chip management quick and easy, larger capacity for fewer interuptions, and neighbors love the mulch. Add a MIG welder to your Xmas list, you will have a lot of fun with it.