Thread: Question -- Cabinet with Sliding Door

Question -- Cabinet with Sliding Door

I am making a display cabinet with a sliding door on the front. The cabinet is approx 36" wide and the door will have 1/4" beveled glass. The original design the cabinet was to be approx 32" wide so I purchased 28" drawer slides like what Woodsmith used in a project they had in the mag several years ago. Their cabinet was 32" wide.

My question is will the 28" slide I already have be adequate, I know the door will not open completely, or should I purchase new 32" slides. I found them on HD website but they are $115 for the pair. I have a lot work into the already and am planning on the glass cost to be ~$500 for the door, sides panels, top and shelves.

Use the 28: slides or buy new longer ones???

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Why do you need slides, wood on wood with wax works awesomely.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm not following you. I've never heard of drawer slides being used for a sliding door.

...maybe... You have one door that's almost the full width of the cabinet case. The door slides sideways such that it is hanging out in space to one side of the cabinet when it is open. The drawer slides support it top and bottom. Is that right?

What's the downside to having that door not open the full width of the cabinet? Do you need to put things in the cabinet that won't fit past the door? If you're just putting smaller stuff in the cabinet, I'd go with the slides you already have.

Or why not lose the sliding door concept, and use hinges. That's how most cabinet doors are mounted. And a pair of hinges will cost you less than $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'm not following you. I've never heard of drawer slides being used for a sliding door.

...maybe... You have one door that's almost the full width of the cabinet case. The door slides sideways such that it is hanging out in space to one side of the cabinet when it is open. The drawer slides support it top and bottom. Is that right?

What's the downside to having that door not open the full width of the cabinet? Do you need to put things in the cabinet that won't fit past the door? If you're just putting smaller stuff in the cabinet, I'd go with the slides you already have.

Or why not lose the sliding door concept, and use hinges. That's how most cabinet doors are mounted. And a pair of hinges will cost you less than $20.
    This project is based on on that was in Woodsmith a few years ago and on cabinet I found on line on a site that sells Amish made furniture.

Yes the door slides allow the door to move to the side and supports the door when open.

I have no downside to the door not completely sliding completely open.

The reason for the sliding door is to not have any stiles in the middle of the front of the cabinet interrupting the view of what is in the cabinet.
    George

Blog Entries
    Ah, I understand what you are doing now. That is very interesting. I usually make sliding door cabinets in a way that I have two tracks in the cabinet and two doors, slide it over infront of the opposing door to access.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Here is a picture of a cabinet with a sliding front door. I am making a different base.

pid_3092-Amish-Console-Picture-Frame-with-Sliding-Door-7.jpg
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Here is a picture of a cabinet with a sliding front door. I am making a different base.

pid_3092-Amish-Console-Picture-Frame-with-Sliding-Door-7.jpg
    Yeah, use hinges. Way less expensive. No ugly drawer slides to look at when the door is open.

i believe there are slides used in kitchen islands that slide from both sides of the island. something to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by larry senen View Post
    i believe there are slides used in kitchen islands that slide from both sides of the island. something to consider?
    Sliding from both sides don't I end up with a stile in center? I really do not like that.

Could use two shorter drawer slides to make it slide both sides.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 04-07-2017 at 1:17 PM.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Yeah, use hinges. Way less expensive. No ugly drawer slides to look at when the door is open.
    There is no reason to have it open when people are viewing it.
    George

I like the design quite a bit, though I think the drawer slides add some bulk, the operation is a pretty cool idea.

Here are a few sources for less than you found - https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/Si...ro8xoCvHnw_wcB

http://ahturf.com/store/index.php?ro...AOURoCGQfw_wcB

And here is a different design that has a taller profile is only 30" long BUT with 1" Overtavel - that gets you close to the needed 32" - https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/Kn...NRXBoC6pPw_wcB

OH - and did I say that I would NOT compromise this project with the shorter slide to save money. You are already making a big investment. I vote - do it right.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 04-07-2017 at 8:48 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

$500 for the glass? That seems really high, even for tempered glass. You might want to contact these two companies for a quote:

http://www.paragontemperedglass.com/

http://www.wolverineglass.com/

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

John