Thread: Need Tablesaw X-Cut Blade advice.

Need Tablesaw X-Cut Blade advice.

I am about to do a lot of crosscutting on 1.7" thk Walnut and am looking for blade advice.

My current blade is a 10" 5/8 arbor 40 tooth general purpose and my table saw id a Jet XACTA 5 HP. When I started ripping the walnut, that blade started burning the wood and had ugly looking cuts. I switched to a dedicated ripping blade, and it came out great. Maybe time to toss my general purpose blade.

Now it is time to do the cross cuts. What blade would you recommend as a dedicated crosscut blade and why? I am thinking the Freud D1060X Diablo 10-Inch ATB Fine Finish Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating in either 60 or 80 tooth.

What blade would you recommend for a dedicated x-cut blade and how many teeth for very hard woods? Thanks

Blog Entries
    I use a Freud LU82M and get excellent cross cut quality on Oak, Cherry, Maple, Walnut and Poplar. If you haven't checked your saw alignment recently, now would be a good time to do it. Misalignment is a primary cause of poor cut quality and burning as is a dull blade.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-06-2017 at 6:53 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

With your saw there's really no reason to go with a thin kerf blade. I'd go with a good full kerf 60T or 80T ATB or Hi-ATB....full kerf will have less chance of deflecting, and the ATB or Hi-ATB grind will have less tearout....the higher the top bevel angle, the lower the tearout. Freud Industrial, Infinity, CMT Industrial are have excellent choices that won't break the bank.

Before tossing your 40T blade, make sure it's clean and sharp.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-06-2017 at 6:56 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I also use the Freud LU82 and get excellent results with it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hello from Salem!

How wide are your 1.7" boards? If they are more than 6" wide, I'd look at either having your 40T serviced or getting a 50T combination blade. A 60T is a good general purpose crosscut blade but may suffer through material that thick.

I suspect you were asking too much of your 40T and it has been overheated and developed a wobble.

Jerrimy
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

Check Forrest blades. I have used them for years and they are excellent. Go to their website and use their Blade Selector to find the right blade[s]. Forrest also sharpens their blades for a very reasonable price.

Good advice guys. I will check my alignment this weekend or Monday. Either way, at 10 years old, it is time for a new "all-purpose blade". But because my next cut will be in a $170 price of wood, I think a 60 tooth ATB is the way to go. I also think Jerrimy is onto something re the overheating. I made 8-10 cuts in 36" long 8/4 walnut plained down to 1.7". The last 2 cuts were the worst. Makes sense.

Thanks

Lots of blades get blamed for being dull when they're just dirty even when the saw is set up well. Sap adds up, even in hardwoods--especially as the blade gets hotter. I may not be able to see the grunge but it starts on the first cut. Clean often, and you blade will run smoother.

I'm with Scott on the 60 ATB--good hook as well. I like Amana and Tenryu Gold, plus Carbide Processors has some nice choices. Tom keeps a good range of prices on the list, and they're all good (in increasing degrees). Discount for Creekers too if I recall correctly.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Lots of blades get blamed for being dull when they're just dirty even when the saw is set up well. Sap adds up, even in hardwoods--especially as the blade gets hotter. I may not be able to see the grunge but it starts on the first cut. Clean often, and you blade will run smoother.

I'm with Scott on the 60 ATB--good hook as well. I like Amana and Tenryu Gold, plus Carbide Processors has some nice choices. Tom keeps a good range of prices on the list, and they're all good (in increasing degrees). Discount for Creekers too if I recall correctly.
    earl
    I will second both cleaning the blade and Tenryu blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    Check Forrest blades. I have used them for years and they are excellent. Go to their website and use their Blade Selector to find the right blade[s]. Forrest also sharpens their blades for a very reasonable price.
    I couldn't make heads or tails of their blade selector.

I emailed them what I needed to do (two different things) and within a few hours I had a reply of two specific blades. I purchased both and they are both superior at what they are required to do.

Specifically I need to rip thin baltic birch (3/16") and rip thin hardwood (1/8" to 1/2"). The two blades were $200 from Acme.