Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby with wifi tech question

Newby with wifi tech question

Hi Everyone,

I have been a fly on the wall with this forum for quite a bit now and decided it was time to buy my own machine.
    So after about 4 months of back and forth with about 15 different companies I bought a machine.

Its a:
    Chuangya CY-BJ4060
    Has a true 80w reci w2 Tube
    cw-3000 water chiller
    mototrized up & down honey comb and blade table
    Ruida 6442 with RD V8 software

So my question is, are there aftermarket wifi modules to add to the machine? and where would I find that?

Any ideas?

Its a typical Chinese machine, why do you think you want WiFi on it?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

It has been a while since I researched it but I remember reading that Ruida makes a wifi module that plugs into your ethernet port. This may be what I was remembering:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...685035717.html

I bet you can find one one actually in stock/available on Alibaba with a little searching. No idea how well it works.

http://en.rd-acs.com/Private/Files/44bc98c1628e8b1a.pdf
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Blog Entries
    Bodor is offering a wifi machine. Don't know how well it operates, but I've used both USB with a 6ft std cable added to a 10 ft extension cable and it worked, and now I use ethernet cable. BTW, I use WiFi connection for my laser desktop as my main internet connection is satellite (Cr@P!!!) and upstairs. I struggled to get the ethernet working as Win 10 thinks ethernet should have internet access and mine doesn't. But it now works and is WAY quicker than USB was. I can't imagine how slow the WiFi would be, even with good connection.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I'm not familiar with the networking quirks of engravers but I have needed a wired connection to a printer where it wasn't really practical to run a cable. My solution was a wireless ethernet bridge. I was able to use a printer which only had USB & wired ethernet. I used a repurposed router with DD-WRT installed but you can buy purpose built devices.

Blog Entries
    Pieter,

Just a caution about Wifi. Resist trying to run the machine remotely. For example, your machine is in a garage with not very good heating/cooling and it is just more comfortable for you to run it from inside. The danger is in cutting operations. You need to be at the machine watching it or you risk a major fire. If you are there a simple water mister bottle like you use on plants is likely to resolve it quickly and painlessly. Or a CO2 extinquisher at worst. But if you are not at the machine watching it you can toast the machine and your building in very short order. Even running in to pee is an invitation for disaster. Do a search on Fire in the forum to see some scary photos. Scott Shepherd has posted some doozies from his business.

There are certainly other reasons for wifi on a laser. But don't use it to get away from the machine. Bad idea.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

The OP was asking about wireless control I am pretty sure. Big difference between it and a wired Cat 5 connection.
    This is the definition of WiFi> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-07-2017 at 4:10 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Pieter,

Just a caution about Wifi. Resist trying to run the machine remotely. For example, your machine is in a garage with not very good heating/cooling and it is just more comfortable for you to run it from inside. The danger is in cutting operations. You need to be at the machine watching it or you risk a major fire. If you are there a simple water mister bottle like you use on plants is likely to resolve it quickly and painlessly. Or a CO2 extinquisher at worst. But if you are not at the machine watching it you can toast the machine and your building in very short order. Even running in to pee is an invitation for disaster. Do a search on Fire in the forum to see some scary photos. Scott Shepherd has posted some doozies from his business.

There are certainly other reasons for wifi on a laser. But don't use it to get away from the machine. Bad idea.

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the tip! Fire risks are always great reasons to stay put.

I have been told by a few people that there are smart phone apps for the Ruida DSP's and basically want to use that as a remote for start and pause ( hence the wifi module ), while keeping my pc's in a clean environment. Don't get me wrong, the shop is climate controlled and I love spending time in there, but I want to be able to have my pc upstairs, and not have to figure a way to run a 50 foot usb cable to the machine.... since the machine only has usb ports...

I suppose another thread question would be on how to rewire the usb port to a ethernet cable....

Anybody have any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Have you looked close at the controller?
    See bottom pic here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ireless-remote

I have a USB and Ethernet port on bottom (as mounted) which is where I connect. USB has cable to outside panel along with the USB thumb drive port but no Ethernet port on outside.

On the computer being upstairs, I can't imagine that working out well unless you like running stairs. There are too many times I have run an item and notice a mistake or omission. Not rotating for my cups, minor size change, missing text. You name it. And you can only change power and speed on controller. So back upstairs you go. I didnt want to, but I bought additional computer. depending on your use, (if you are using rdworks to design) you can get away with cheap laptop. I think you will end up there unless you are running same things over and over which can be saved in memory.
    Last edited by John Lifer; 04-08-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Blog Entries
    George,

Thanks for the note! I hadn't considered he might be looking at a wireless remote vs a wifi connection to the machine from his laptop. I use a wired remote console on my CNC and like it a lot.

His following post seems to suggest he is looking at both? Using a wifi connection to pass the job from his laptop to the laser and keeping his laptop in a cleaner environment. Then in the garage using a wireless remote controller to actually begin, pause, and end the job rather than using the unit's keypad. So long as he resists the temptation to actually start a cutting job from a remotely located laptop that should be fine.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

If you just want a remote control (I thought the original question was about wifi to the controlling computer), Ruida does make those for their controllers. Here is an example. Look at all four pictures in this ad:

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...nSP#1142658923

I have seen this for sale on Alibaba too.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 04-08-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    If you just want a remote control (I thought the original question was about wifi to the controlling computer), Ruida does make those for their controllers. Here is an example. Look at all four pictures in this ad:

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...nSP#1142658923

I have seen this for sale on Alibaba too.

Hi,
    This is exactly what I was looking for!! A wireless remote to stop start and pause... Sending the job to the machine could be a secondary if not a moot point... Usb drives were invented for that purpose. this little do-hicky is exactly what I needed!

THANKS!!!

Blog Entries
    Pieter, see this link, I posted my install of one of these. Works fine for start. Pause, stop, all axis movements at two speeds. Make sure you have the input three wire on your controller! , http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ireless-remote
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Blog Entries
    If its a RDC-644x as you state and all you want to have it a remote start/stop, there is a foot switch input. Keep reading. Its a momentary contact input and its designed to have a foot switch to start/stop the machine. Thats all it does, start/stop. No movement, that you have to do from the control panel.

Search for a wireless garage door opener addon or 1ch wireless control on ebay. Probably around $5-20 on ebay. Those have a tiny relay that engages when the button is pressed and release when you stop pressing, meaning momentary contact. Exactly what the foot switch input on the RDC is looking for. Wire its relay NO (normally open) contacts to the foot switch input and you have a cheap start/stop keyfob for under $20.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

I really hate to jump in here with this question but how do I start a thread? My laser engraver has been down for a month. Well, half way out of commission that is. I could really use some help. Since I can't even start a thread on this site (just now able to reply) the issue I'm having is more likely between the steering wheel and the front seat.