Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Holly

Suppliers that specialize in materials for musical instruments and marquetry/inlay, or at least have subdivisions that do, may be good sources for holly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you again, guys! Lots of great sources listed. Ideally, I'd want to see it with my own eyes but that may not be practical if I need to drive three or more hours to do that.

I did see the pictures on Domex and they looked pretty white. But I will definitely call and talk to the suppliers once I get some idea how much I need. The compass rose I plan to make will be about 12-15" in diameter. I'm not sure how detailed I'd make it but I'm sure when neighbors see it, the nicer it looks the more they will want one. The guy across the street has a 38' Hinkley powerboat and he's asked me to help him with mahogany fender storage. He has a mahogany table on deck that is screaming for something to make it pop. So I'll have to figure in neighbor requests in the quantity I order.

I just finished the cabinet carcases yesterday and set them in place today. (The one on the left I made from scratch, the other one was left over from the kitchen demo so I dressed it up a bit.) Then we set the bar top on them to check the progress.

From front to middle is bubinga, figured cherry, sapele and maple. The backsplash is figured cherry. All of the wood used I brought down when we moved. I have to figure out how to dress up the frig a bit because when you walk into the house that wall is one of the first things you see.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie

Amazon exotic hardwoods is in Florida I believe and they claim that their holly is whiter than white

Doug