Thread: Woodpeckers X-mat

Woodpeckers X-mat

I really like the look of the X-mat system and see it is for sale again, What are your opinions and are there other non-red options for a system like this?
    I am building a bunch of boxes for center pieces and pencil holders, simple mitered corners 1/2 in stock and will offer custom sizes.

I did search but only found a few posts referencing this system.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'll be interested to see how folks respond Adam. As I looked it over, I thought "Geez, there's lotsa other ways to do the things this does. Why pay WP prices for this?" But maybe missed something cool and unique.

Good luck!
    Fred

always more ways to do things, the deluxe set is pretty large and seems like an ok price at ~ 150. Sometimes it's nice just to buy something new that works, instead of spending lots of time taking something old and rehashing or building your own.

I am just kind-of wondering why it is at ½ price of when it first came out? And if they are doing another production of them or just trying to sell off what stock they have? That may tell you something?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    I am just kind-of wondering why it is at ½ price of when it first came out? And if they are doing another production of them or just trying to sell off what stock they have? That may tell you something?
    My guess was they havent moved that many since they came out so they are hoping to get some out into the world so that hopefully others will buy them based on recommendations once they have them. Looks like another silly Woodpeckers idea to me, but I guess if one can make it work for them and they for some reason dont like or have the means to perform the same functionality using common tools, great for them.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I'm wondering as well if anyone has any experience with this item. The deluxe kit with included 8 box clamps seems like a very good deal compared to the regular price of the box clamps.

This also looks interesting. I'm basically looking for something that's easier to get boxes aligned and square.

I may be uninformed on the box clamp usage but my experiences are that they don't pull the pieces together. I have tried using mine a couple times and was very frustrated how much time was spent trying to get the boards into perfect position to clamp. Yes they clamp them in a nice 90 degree position but don't seem to pull the joint together at all. Not what I expected. Hard to put a box together with glue as so much time fiddling with the clamps. Oh and the clamps are tightened with Allen wrenches or the Woodpecker Allen screwdriver. Tough to get to the nuts at times.

I have been interested in the mat thinking it could be useful. Not sure any more. Have not read any reviews or reports of customer experiences. Guess if it really was beneficial we would be seeing posts recommending it.

In peoples opinions, what is the best box/corner clamps to get. I hate wasting money testing out different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Visker View Post
    In peoples opinions, what is the best box/corner clamps to get. I hate wasting money testing out different ones.
    I have a few options, but the Bessey ones are kinda cool: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Well, not to directly answer the OP, but The WP looks interested to me also. BUT......so did the Kreg assembly table I bought about a year ago. Still looks neat, but I've never used it! When a need arises, I seem to forget about it and defer to my time tested (but maybe not the best way) manner of assembling things.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I bought the deluxe set a few years ago when it first came out. Tried using it once and it's been sitting in the box ever since. Way too fiddly to bother messing with it.

I didn't jump on the xmat deal because I don't want to store it when not in use. But I can't imagine doing box or frame assembly without the Woodpeckers clamping square: http://www.woodpeck.com/clampingsquare6.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Snyder View Post
    I didn't jump on the xmat deal because I don't want to store it when not in use. But I can't imagine doing box or frame assembly without the Woodpeckers clamping square: http://www.woodpeck.com/clampingsquare6.html
    I have four of (I believe) Jevans aluminum clamping squares. I also can't imagine a project that these are not used.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.