Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 50w Tube replacement

Blog Entries
    Of course its going to be posted for others to use. Why would I keep something like this hidden away I am not in this for anything but a hobby so I don't have any IP to protect. I expected to post it when I got it done from the get go. But I am not one to post unfinished or untested builds. If its in my thingiverse profile for download, you can bet I have printed, tested and likely used it or I don't post it. And if someone picks it up and improves it, then I get a better mount too

I haven't gotten to the point of verifying the squareness of the gantry yet. I will. Just now getting the machine to poke holes in something for the first time in 2 years. Baby steps And I wanted to get the mA meter installed as everyone agrees that this machine is likely overdriving the tube and I don't want to kill another one out of ignorance. Until I can place the meter inline, I am going to not go over 60% on the controller.

And the idea I had earlier is going to be possible to try, what I wanted we did have here at work. Have to try it first before I post what it is. Don't wanna look stupid if it doesn't work like I think it will.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

What an interesting idea for mounting a tube. Thanks for sharing. I'd wish I had them when was trying to align my tubes.

Now when I look at yours I have remembered something.
    For those who does not have a 3D printer there are a product from astronomy field that can be used instead.
    They are called guide scope mounting rings.
    http://www.losmandy.com/hi-rez-images/DVR125.jpg

They are cheap, a lot of astronomy shops sell them and they come in different sizes.
    GCC Spirit GX Pro 100W(synrad)
    Laserlife Ezlaser LCW 300W(Yongli DLT-300)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lysov View Post
    What an interesting idea for mounting a tube. Thanks for sharing. I'd wish I had them when was trying to align my tubes.

Now when I look at yours I have remembered something.
    For those who does not have a 3D printer there are a product from astronomy field that can be used instead.
    They are called guide scope mounting rings.
    http://www.losmandy.com/hi-rez-images/DVR125.jpg

They are cheap, a lot of astronomy shops sell them and they come in different sizes.
    I had looked at those too. The local science shop has them. However there are initial issues with it that i recognized right away.
    1. It creates small pressure points on the glass tube which could potentially shatter it. They are designed for metal tube scopes, not thin glass tubes.
    2. Adjusting the tube within the mount is another triangular movement. You do not get easy L-R and U-D adjustments. You must turn two screws to move the tube and this also moves it in both U-D and L-R directions. Same as the mirrors which I hate with a passion. And while adjusting those screws, see the caution of #1
    3. They are designed to mount on a rail. So some additional mounting would be needed to use them as there is never a rail like that in our lasers.
    4. Not overly cheap. The ones I saw (which were too large) were over $120 for a pair.

Yes. They might be useful if you take the precautions against damaging the glass tube. I don't know how fragile these tubes are. But I am not rolling the $150+ dice to find out.

Also, you don't need a 3D printer. Once I place it up on thingiverse, you can have places such as 3D hubs or Shapeways print it for you. Obviously there is a cost for that but its an option for those not owning a printer.
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

Mike: This is a great thread and my cup of tea. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Mike: This is a great thread and my cup of tea. Thanks for sharing.
    You are welcome. I will be doing the final prep and upload on the mount this weekend. Have had some other things I needed to work in this week after work.

It will be here: http://www.thingiverse.com/Wolfie/designs
    Last edited by Mike Audleman; 04-26-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Blog Entries
    Been under the weather lately. Still not very chipper. However, I did get the mount posted to thingiverse and popped in here long enough to throw this post up.

The mount is available for anyone to download here:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2305604
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Modo, Bryce, Poser

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Audleman View Post

Yes. They might be useful if you take the precautions against damaging the glass tube. I don't know how fragile these tubes are. But I am not rolling the $150+ dice to find out.
    There are some that come with soft pads at the end of each bolt. Some telescopes can cost more than lasers and nobody wants to make even a tiny scratch on their paint :-) I think I may even have one set of this rings with soft pads but need to check as I have not touched my telescope for years.

Thanks for reminding me about 3d hubs, totally forgot about this way to print what you need without investing in a 3D printer.
    GCC Spirit GX Pro 100W(synrad)
    Laserlife Ezlaser LCW 300W(Yongli DLT-300)