Thread: Another source for cheap wood

Another source for cheap wood

I wanted 4x4s to make the legs for this butcher block. Since Mom wants them painted, I searched around to find untreated pine fence posts. (No point using Maple.) But the few left on the pallet at my local yard turned out to be pretty poor.

The guy showing me around was a woodworker, so he said "Hey, come see something. We sell these to truckers who haul pipe and steel." It was a pallet of rough sawn OAK, 4" x 4" x 8 ft. For $8 a piece.

Needless to say, I bought a couple extra. I'll wire brush them, then joint/plane them to size. I'll even resaw some to make my aprons.

I love finding ways to repurpose something that is meant to be used for one thing, for something else I need.

Fred

Oak does not finish smoothly with paint unless you fill the pores before painting. You can still see every pore in the wood. Just be aware. If you use pine, you will be able to see the knots after painting. I like soft maple for this application and poplar as a second choice.

Thanks Art. I hadnt considered that. I just called another yard and he can mill me some poplar - said its $6 a linear foot + $10 for milling.

I can save the I found for a future project.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    If you use pine, you will be able to see the knots after painting.
    Not if you seal it first. I found BIN to be excellent.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I wanted 4x4s to make the legs for this butcher block. Since Mom wants them painted, I searched around to find untreated pine fence posts. (No point using Maple.) But the few left on the pallet at my local yard turned out to be pretty poor.

The guy showing me around was a woodworker, so he said "Hey, come see something. We sell these to truckers who haul pipe and steel." It was a pallet of rough sawn OAK, 4" x 4" x 8 ft. For $8 a piece.

Needless to say, I bought a couple extra. I'll wire brush them, then joint/plane them to size. I'll even resaw some to make my aprons.

I love finding ways to repurpose something that is meant to be used for one thing, for something else I need.

Fred
    Most of the timbers that I have seen used to block up pipe and steel were not dried wood and usually had checks, bows, twists, etc and would need to dry and take a lot of preparation for use as actual lumber. What was quality of the wood you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Most of the timbers that I have seen used to block up pipe and steel were not dried wood and usually had checks, bows, twists, etc and would need to dry and take a lot of preparation for use as actual lumber. What was quality of the wood you bought?
    You're right on the mark Thomas. Turns out I wasn't as clever as I thought when I posted this. When I cut into it tonight after work, it was wet at the core down the whole length. It was pretty straight though, with no twist (right now.) So I cut it into 4' lengths, painted the ends and stored it.

Definitely going after that 16/4 poplar for those legs now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    Not if you seal it first. I found BIN to be excellent.
    Mike, I have a dumb question - what is BIN?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Mike, I have a dumb question - what is BIN?
    BIN is a shellac base stain blocker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Don't sweat it, buy a few more and put them away until they're dry, you can never have to many ..., errr to much lumber .