Thread: Grizzly, Springfield, MO

Grizzly, Springfield, MO

Stopped by on my way home Monday, they have a lot of stuff. The new Grizzly lathe G0800 looks like a nice machine. Talked to one of the employees that does classes and he, of course, gave it high marks. Looks like a pretty nice machine for about the same price as a Powermatic 3520. I did look at the drive belt and it's only about 1/2" wide, hope it does the job.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    Stopped by on my way home Monday, they have a lot of stuff. The new Grizzly lathe G0800 looks like a nice machine. Talked to one of the employees that does classes and he, of course, gave it high marks. Looks like a pretty nice machine for about the same price as a Powermatic 3520. I did look at the drive belt and it's only about 1/2" wide, hope it does the job.
    My G0766 has a 1/2" drive belt on the pulleys.......I have turned heavy blanks that weighed 100 lbs.........no issues at all. My former 18/47 had the same width belt, no issues with it either. My G0766 is 3 hp, 3 phase, with inverter, so yes, it does the job.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Steve, was that the black one sitting by itself? (I was just there a few weeks ago)
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I was there on Thursday and it is the black one setting by itself. It is a very good looking machine. Like Steve, I too was surprised and a little concerned about the size of the belt. I would have thought it would have had a larger belt myself.

Roger, glad to hear you have not had any problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Steve, was that the black one sitting by itself? (I was just there a few weeks ago)
    Yep Scott, that's the one. They also had one in the demo or class room. If I had a piece of timber with me I would have asked to give it a go, it was dusty so I know it was being used. Only used a One Way with 24" swing once and that Grizzly would have been fun to give a spin. Not sure I need a 24" swing lathe but who knows.

Perhaps I should clarify, it was not my intention to criticise any Grizzly lathe belts. It's just smaller than what I have seen before. Since it seems to work fine-great. So lets not get excited about the belts.

I have owned the Laguna 2436 ( identical to the Grizzly GO-800) for two years now and have done some fairly heavy turning with it. The drive belt has never offered to slip once. I read somewhere that the belt is from the auto industry. Used to drive A/C or the power steering pump.
    What I like about the lathe the most is the wide stance and 850 lbs. of cast iron.

I Have had the G0800 for about six for about six months. I have never sliped the belt the lathe is very nice I like the weight and the ability to slide the head down to the end so I can stand in front of the wood no twisting or reaching way out. Much easier on my back. I bought the bed extension I have it on the lower setting so I could turn a 36" item. I will do that one day just so I can say I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    I Have had the G0800 for about six for about six months. I have never sliped the belt the lathe is very nice I like the weight and the ability to slide the head down to the end so I can stand in front of the wood no twisting or reaching way out. Much easier on my back. I bought the bed extension I have it on the lower setting so I could turn a 36" item. I will do that one day just so I can say I did.
    Do you think the bed extension is a good add on?

Quote Originally Posted by carl mesaros View Post
    I have owned the Laguna 2436 ( identical to the Grizzly GO-800) for two years now and have done some fairly heavy turning with it. The drive belt has never offered to slip once. I read somewhere that the belt is from the auto industry. Used to drive A/C or the power steering pump.
    What I like about the lathe the most is the wide stance and 850 lbs. of cast iron.
    Did you order from Laguna or pick up at a dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    Did you order from Laguna or pick up at a dealer?
    Steve I purchased mine from a dealer, Woodwerks in Columbus, Ohio.
    I also puchased the bed extension at the same time. The 2436 came with the tailstock swing away which is really nice.

Yes i am glad I bought the extension it stays on the lathe in the lower position all the time. Anytime I am turning a bowl that is going to take a while I slide the head stock to the end put the banjo on the bed extension and stand in front of my work easier on the back plus it adds almost a 100lbs to the lathe.