Thread: Powertec Self-Stick Sanding Discs

Powertec Self-Stick Sanding Discs

I need to replace the disc on my 12" disc sander (inherited, home-built) and I find that my local Big Orange Box has Delta $$$$ and Powertec $$ self-stick discs.

Has anyone had a positive experience with either one?

I probably use the disc sander more for shaping aluminum and steel pieces than I do in woodworking.

thanks

baumgrenze

Never heard of them, no idea who might make the Delta branded disks. I buy mine from Klingspor. They work well, last a long time for wood, and cost about $4-5 each. Not sure whether that is $ or $$$$, I don't go through enough of them to worry about it. I've also gotten them from McMaster-Carr (also manufacturer unknown, but seem to be good quality), at about the same prices. I notice they also offer specialty abrasives for use with metal.

I'm not a fan of PSA disks on my 12". Need to change the grit, well there goes your disk and $$$. Because we have a Klingspor's Woodworking Shop close by, I hit the scrap bin and buy stuff ($1.50 a pound) to cut my own disk. Spray them with adhesive (also from Klingspor) and I'm good to go. Peel um off and respray when they go back on. Doing Toys for Tots cars, I go thru 10 - 15 disk per year.