Thread: Is there a Sandusky Tool Co. and Sargent & Co. relationship?

Is there a Sandusky Tool Co. and Sargent & Co. relationship?

VmSSXB.jpg HgWjpI.jpg

These are from wooden planes. I find nothing on the internet that even mentions these two companies in the same breath, but their makers marks are nearly identical. Does anyone know why they are so similar? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    A "waving banner" is a common device used in marking and advertising during the time period of manufacture for these planes.

Their name stamps may have been made by the same supplier.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sandusky made Sargents wooden planes.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by don wilwol View Post
    That sounds plausible, my search didn't turn up anything other than someone on Lumberjocks saying such.

Is there another source of this information?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I'm not near it right now, but Pollock's A Guide to the Makers of American Wooden Planes is a good source. Heckel's book is good as well.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Blog Entries
    I'm not near it right now, but Pollock's A Guide to the Makers of American Wooden Planes is a good source. Heckel's book is good as well.
    Thanks for the information Don.

jtk

Ah ha! Okay, thanks for the information. Very interesting. I'm impressed with the one and only Sargent in my collection. It's a hollow. The tapered iron is at least 1/3 thicker at the cutting edge than most of my other irons. It's nearly 3/16" thick! I have a Sandusky beading plane and it's iron is nearly as thick and tapers just like the Sargent. There are so many similarities I'm not surprised Sandusky made the Sargent. Very good to know.

+++++1 on what Don said. Back when I started collecting tools in the early 90s, I bought any reference book I could find. Additionally, over the years my membership in the MWTCA has supplied many catalog reprints. Below is an excerpt from Pollack, page 322.

Just say, tools from the Buckeye State have always been top shelf.

Sargent.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    +++++1 on what Don said. Back when I started collecting tools in the early 90s, I bought any reference book I could find. Additionally, over the years my membership in the MWTCA has supplied many catalog reprints. Below is an excerpt from Pollack, page 322.

Just say, tools from the Buckeye State have always been top shelf.

Sargent.jpg
    Cool! Thanks Pete! And thanks again to Don.