Thread: Any experience with these cast iron router table extensions

Any experience with these cast iron router table extensions

I have limited space in my garage, and thus, am looking to add a router table extension to my SawStop. Before I purchase, do any of you guys have experience with any of these options? I need a 9 1/4'' x 11 3/4'' x 3/8'' plate opening.Whatever the purchase, I only need the table; I have the Incra TS/LS Joinery package on my table saw and just ordered a Ready2Lift router lift. These are the options I've found, but feel free to recommend something different:

I have the BenchDog cast iron top and their lift.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Peachtree and I'm totally satisfied with the purchase.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I have the Peachtree. It works just like it should.

The 1/4" T-slot, I think, is for hold-downs to capture fixtures. The Peachtree does have two of those slots. They run the short dimension on the table, while the other two tables have just one running the long direction on the table.

I like BenchDog, but it won't fit my lift. It is 8 1/4'' vs 9 1/4'' wide, so it is out of the running. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The 1/4" T-slot, I think, is for hold-downs to capture fixtures. The Peachtree does have two of those slots. They run the short dimension on the table, while the other two tables have just one running the long direction on the table.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't even though about those two slots being used for a 1/4'' hold-down. I was only thinking about the t-track running long ways.

Anyone know if Peachtree has any coupons/discounts, or run sales often? Sounds like I should order one, but I'm always open to saving money!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Merritt View Post
    I like BenchDog, but it won't fit my lift. It is 8 1/4'' vs 9 1/4'' wide, so it is out of the running. :\
    Yup...if you already have a lift, then you'll need to select from a top that will accommodate it. That said, I'm 110% for the cast iron setup and glad you are considering it. It's a pleasure to have that heavy, solid, slippery surface to work on!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was a little nervous about how well it would be supported on my SawStop with Incra rails. I bought more of their mounting brackets to bolt not only to the saw but the rails as well for extra support, and, a pair of their legs for that little extra bit. I figure that trade-off is worth it to not worry about sag/bowing on a wood-type table later on. I haven't decided for sure where I'm going to mount it, but since I haven't ordered it yet, I figure I have a few days to think on it at least.

As for the lift, I bought the larger lift option from Ready2Lift so that if I wasn't happy with it, I could easily swap it with the Incra version of Woodpeckers/Jessem lifts. I really like their metal inserts with dust collection.

The Woodtek and the GI version appear to be the same top with different labeling. The 1/4" slots in the Peachtree top are for clamping a fence you don't need since you have the Incra. I'm not sure why the others have a 1/4 T-slot, it's just another cut in the table to encourage it to warp. I'd say buy whichever it'll be easiest to exchange/return.

I've been looking at the router extensions for quite some time. I don't have a saw I can mount one on at the moment so it's just been research. I didn't notice this at first as I was mostly looking at dimensions and price, but many of them are designed to have a router with its base mounted underneath - they don't have provisions for a router plate/lift. It had never even occurred to me that anyone would even make one like that. Not that it's wrong, but I assumed that they assumed anyone buying one would be putting a lift on it. I could have easily ordered one without the plate cut-out and not realized it until it was delivered.

I don't have personal experience with it, but a good friend bought the Peachtree version and is very happy with it. He put it on a DeWalt hybrid saw.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Peachtree this morning. My Ready2Lift should arrive Wednesday, so hopefully this won't be too far behind. Once I have it all setup and working, I'll try and post some info here on the whole setup.