Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aggravated with NOVA chucks

Question Aggravated with NOVA chucks

Not sure why, but both of my nova chucks have wobble and run out. The G3 that I bought with the nova comet I had, and the supernova 2 that I just got to go with my laguna 18/36. After suspecting the problem, I compared the spindle itself, the spindle with the factory faceplates and both chucks and there is a tremendous amount of run out in the novas and none perceptible in just the spindle or factory faceplate. I'm honestly not sure why I didn't notice it sooner but I've just been blaming the wood itself. I'm thinking it could be a result of poor quality control, poor machining tolerances, or maybe poor fitting adapters. Not sure. Long story short, I just boxed up and returned the supernova 2 to amazon and want to order a different brand to try.

I've been looking at the Vicmarc 120, the Hurriance 125 and the bulldog 575. I think I ruled out the oneway stronghold just because its not sealed on the back, but maybe I shouldn't have. So, given my complaint about the nova and what I'm possibly attributing to either poor machining or quality control (maybe the made in china maters, or maybe not, don't know) is the Vicmarc the clear winner here or are the copies just as good? The taper lock adapter approach like the hurricane looks like it might give a truer turning chuck, but maybe not.

I've read a million threads, watched as many videos as I can find and I'm thinking the hurricane 125 looks like a winner, but as I'm sure it's made in china too I'm skeptical. Is it as good as the vicmarc or based on my concerns should I only be looking at the vicmarc/oneway type brands? Thanks.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-08-2017 at 12:38 PM.

I'm a fan of the Vicmarc chucks.I also have a OneWay chuck. No complaints on either of them. I feel the saying " you get what you pay for " is very true.

3. I recently had a runout problem with a set of Nova bowl jaws I got a few months ago, and put on a SN2 chuck I have had for several years. I think there are some QC issues with the Nova lineup as I have read from more than one person about wobble. Since the older jaws ran true, I knew it was the new jaws and not the older chuck, so I actually took a gouge and trued the jaws, and everything is fine,

It is my belief that different manufacturing runs, are not always true to specs, and if a newer run is off by a few thousandth's, then they consider it "within tolerances."

All 3 of my Hurricane chucks run true right out of the box. I have 5 SuperNova's that I have accumulated over the years, and they are good as well, but nothing made over the last 4 years or so. The Hurricane's are clones of the Vicmarc's.

Vicmarc's cost twice as much, but are probably the best out there, but that does not mean they will do more than any other chuck, so weigh value and cost and what you have a budget for.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Not sure why, but both of my nova chucks have wobble and run out
    I'm just curious if you detected the wobble and run out by actually tightening a straight round metal rod in the chucks jaws and put a dial indicator on the rod with the chuck turning?

I'm asking because I have two G3 chucks with multiple jaws all purchased within the last 18 months and they run within .0015 which is close to hobby grade metal lathe accuracy.

However, if you simply view the chuck turning with a straight metal rod tightened in the jaws you'll observe what appears to be a wobble on the outside surface of the jaws on the right of the assembled chuck but the machined solid portion of the chuck on the left side runs perfectly true. It's just a illusion based on how that particular chuck is designed.

I've got 4 Hurricanes and several sets of jaws (3-100s 1-125.) I've put them all on a dial indicator with magnetic sled. Runout is within a few thousandths on all of them, which is nothing when dealing with wood not metal. I'm not saying they are the best. But price vs value is great. I've turned of other people's Vicmarcs, and can't tell the difference.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Here is the scoop on the G3 chuck I still have. I didn't bother measuring the Supernova2 chuck, but visually it looked at least twice as bad, and when trying to work a bowl I could obviously see and feel the wobble.

So, I took my .001" Starrett dial indicator and stand and measured multiple different ways. I measured the base of the spindle, the face of the collar at the base of the spindle and the outside of the collar at the base of the spindle. They all show negligible run out, as in I can't detect it on my thousands dial indicator.

Didn't photograph all tests, but here were a few for what its worth:

Next I put the factory face plate on the spindle and measure on the barrel of it and on the face of it. Again, I show negligible run out and my dial can't detect it.

Next, I put the Nova G3 chuck on and clamp numerous different sized steel objects into the jaws to test. I admit I do not have any scientifically perfect drill rods or other specimens, so I had to make do with what I could find around the shop. I settled on a hand full of well machined Williams deep well sockets, and several well machined SK deep well impact sockets. I used several to make sure I wasn't reading a single bad socket.

When reading the sockets I took measurements at both the face of the 50mm jaws and out near the end of the socket.

My average measurement at the face of the socket read 8 to 10.5 thousands of run out. When I advanced to the other end of the socket it would read as high as 14 thousands. The better readings came from the larger sockets which I feel indicates maybe the jaws had a better grip on them.

Out of curiosity, I took the factory machined face plate and clamped into the chuck with the base of its barrel securely seated against the chuck, and took readings of the face plate barrel and it was 32 thousands out of round no matter how many times I reseated it.

I know you guys mentioned I couldn't go on the visual alone but this chuck looks like its wobbling when it turns and to me the above measurements say it is. They also say it's not my spindle or my face plate, so it has to be in the chuck or the chuck insert adapter. I wish I had measured the Supernova as that one wobbled like a one legged hooker trying to tango, but I can only assume it was much worse based on how it looked visually while turning.

So, as mentioned I'm worried about the Hurricane too but keep seeing good reviews. I don't mind spending a little more for the first Vicmarc but obviously as I add chucks that extra gets pricey. I'm wondering if the bulldog is any better since it says it can use vicmarc jaws. Does the hurricane also fit the vicmarc jaws? I'm just frustrated I guess after what I feel is a sour experience on the nova chucks so far and they are the ones that everywhere I go stocks readily. Disappointing.

Very satisfied to see how true the laguna is running though. Thats the silver lining here.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-08-2017 at 3:21 PM.

Greg, is your G3 chuck adapter a genuine Nova part? Because there are known problems with non-Nova adapters?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Garafalo View Post
    Greg, is your G3 chuck adapter a genuine Nova part? Because there are known problems with non-Nova adapters?
    It was bought as one and came in the box as one. Bought it from a woodcraft retail store in Tampa, FL along with the chuck kit last year. Same with the adapter I had bought with the supernova2 through amazon.

Maybe my measurements are considered acceptable but it sure seemed like a lot of movement and out of round to me. The further out you get the exponentially worse the measurement got, which means for a 12" bowl blank that is 3" thick, you would see an awful lot of movement out at the edges.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-08-2017 at 3:22 PM.

Vicmarc or Oneway and never look back. Copies are never as good as the real thing. - John

Looks like oneway has a larger selection of jaws. Anyone with a vicmarc find themselves lacking for a jaw set that isn't offered?

Did the G3 run true on the Nova Comet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Garafalo View Post
    Did the G3 run true on the Nova Comet?

Don, I don't think so but I honestly never checked. I wrote off what I thought I was seeing all this time as being simply the wood always being out of round or the issue. It wasn't until I watched someone else turning on my lathe last night that I could see the problem as the chuck and that prompted me to get out the dial indicator and stand to check it out.

Who knows. Maybe its just me and in my head. Wanna buy the G3 and assorted jaws and you can check it out? LOL :P
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-08-2017 at 4:39 PM.

So what do the jaws measure on the outside when you clamp a socket in them? What about on the inside? I don't know anything about the jaws you have on but is the surface that contacts the socket intended to be a clamping surface. I am not disputing that you may have a problem but just curious if that is a good test. I think there was a similar thread a while back on the same or a similar issue.

I've decided to give the Vicmarc VM120 a try. Just placed an order for the following to get me started with that chuck system. It gives me two sets of jaws to begin with and I'll probably add a 14" cole jaw later.

118150 Vicmarc VM120 136mm (5'') Chuck
    118151J 1-1/4"x8 TPI Vicmarc VM120/VM150 Adaptor
    118154 Vicmarc VM120 Step Jaws
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-08-2017 at 4:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    So what do the jaws measure on the outside when you clamp a socket in them? What about on the inside? I don't know anything about the jaws you have on but is the surface that contacts the socket intended to be a clamping surface. I am not disputing that you may have a problem but just curious if that is a good test. I think there was a similar thread a while back on the same or a similar issue.
    Ronald, let me go take some measurements. The jaws were the standard 50mm jaws (2" jaws) that come with the chuck. Not sure if this is what you want, but the 17mm socket pictured measures 0.937" which would also equate to the same as the inside jaw opening, and the outside of the jaws with the socket in place measures 3.414".

Regarding the surface on the socket, it is intended to hold the center wood screw so I would assume it must be meant to be a clamping surface or you surely wouldn't trust it to hold a bowl with the center wood screw in there.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-08-2017 at 4:57 PM.