Thread: Trying to choose finish for speakers. Mahogany and wenge veneer

Trying to choose finish for speakers. Mahogany and wenge veneer

Dear Creekers,

This is sort of embarrassing for me to post, but I've almost never worked with MDF.
    Over the past 3 months, I've been veneering and assembling a set of Overnight Sensations speakers in mahogany and wenge.
    After much screwups, I've had the stuff veneered to my satisfaction using Titebond 3. The ledges were handplaned to a nice smooth transition.

However, I'm not sure what finish to use?

As a guitar builder, I usually just french polish everything...it's pretty much all I know how to do.
    I'd tried the Birchwood-Casey gunstock finish from LMII, but wasn't happy.
    In this case, french polishing the speakers might be a bit impractical and silly.

Should I just do an oil varnish and wax?
    Should I french polish?
    I'd like to bring out the character of the veneers.

Thanks ahead of time!

Matt, depending upon the size of the speakers and how much abuse they'll get (from kids, pets etc) then French Polish would be a great choice, especially as you are experienced.

Alternatives for grain character are any good quality oil based finish. I like both Waterlox (Original) and General Finishes Arm R Seal. Both can be wiped on, come in different sheens if that's what you need

If you're used to French polishing, I wouldn't hesitate to do it on speakers. I was in the same boat recently on a cherry bookshelf I built, and didn't want to fuss with varnishes so I just French polished it. It's not as durable as varnish, but it looks good and a speaker probably doesn't need the protection of something like a tabletop.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Matt, depending upon the size of the speakers and how much abuse they'll get (from kids, pets etc) then French Polish would be a great choice, especially as you are experienced.

Alternatives for grain character are any good quality oil based finish. I like both Waterlox (Original) and General Finishes Arm R Seal. Both can be wiped on, come in different sheens if that's what you need
    Andy has presented both of my suggestions.

French polishing is perfect for this. No question for me. Cheers

Thanks, guys!

I'll get some everclear and Kusmi seedlac.
    Pics when it's all done.