Thread: Denatured Alcohol Question

Denatured Alcohol Question

Does a soak in DNA merely help prevent cracking or does it also significantly speed up the drying process.

2. DNA replaces the water in the cells of the wood, and does accelerate drying, but it also helps with cracking from my experience. I don't do the DNA soak very often now-a-days, but have in the past. I still like to bag after the soak, to slow down its exposure to the air after it comes out of the DNA, and usually a couple of weeks, maybe three and it is near to where it can be turned.....unless some really humid conditions prevail, then maybe a bit longer.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have read that DNA helps, but I think that the "jury is still out". That is, it may help but it isn't a panacea or perfect solution to cracking and short-cycle turning.

I have also read that boiling for 1/2 hour helps. I've tried it and, yes, it did work fine. But I'm not convinced that the blanks would not have cracked if I had skipped that step.

From what I've read, the DNA treatment was popular a few years ago but is not currently being viewed as significant step forward.

So ... I have mixed feelings and am slightly skeptical of the benefit versus investment.

Trevor, I have been using the DNA method for years and still use it. Is it worth the investment? For me, yes. In my opinion, DNA doesn't have anything to do with preventing cracks or checks. That problem is the direct result of an uneven wall thickness or a preexisting crack that expands while drying. So, keep the walls of your bowl consistent and you shouldn't have to worry about cracks. DNA does speed up the overall drying process considerably. I live 1/8 mile from the south shore of Lake Superior and it is always humid here, so air drying any turning is a long process and usually takes close to a year. Using DNA I can finish turn something in 6 weeks or less if it is during the summer month - which I think is scheduled to be August this year. One thing I have noticed, and this is just my personal observation, is that drying with the DNA method tends to make the wood harder/tighter than something air dried. Not a big deal when using sharp tools but it is noticeable.

Should you want additional info on using the DNA method, just do a search here in the Turners Forum. Should be more than enough info to help you make a decision to give the process a try or not.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!