Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Restoring Tools?

Anyone Else Restoring Tools?

Well, the weather is nicer outside, so I have started working on mild tool restoration projects, although much of it can be done on a desk inside.

One project is to clean up some old oil stones I bought on the auction site recently. They are mostly clogged some with old oil particles from the stone, particles from old chisels and plane irons, etc. Some are pretty clean and in good shape, some have moderate clogging. I've been soaking them in paint thinner and scrubbing on them with and old brush of the type used to clean vegetables. Among other things I am trying to soak some of the old honing oil out of the stones.

None of the stones are high dollar, they are mostly carborundum and India stones, although it looks like there is an Arkansas oil stone for pocket knives and 2X3 Arkansas stone with a medium side and fine side. I got quite a few in one lot from the auction site, there was not enough description to tell exactly what I was getting, but there were 3 slips that I wanted, and I though that surly there was a medium, a fine, and a coarse....nope. I am not sure, but it looks like 2 mediums and MAYBE a fine or 3 mediums.....not sure, but two are definitely mediums. I paid more than I should have ($42 including shipping), because there are too many duplicates, and duplicates of what I have already, but I did get a couple of 9" india stones, a 9" carborundum stone, an 8" India stone, 2 6" carborundum stones, 3 4" India slips, a broken carborundum slip, a couple of round stones for axes and hatchets, and a number of assorted small stones,18 stones in all and some soap stone. Only one of the stones is worn much, a 56" carborundum stone, the rest are in good shape, but do have some staining.

I was in the lumber yard today and looked at the price of a new 9" carborundum stone, and after that felt a lot better about what I paid. Anyway, am in the process of cleaning them up to be able to use them.

Also am in the process of restoring a #6 size Stanley plane, and on the downhill slope on it, just a little way to go. Currently I am in the process of putting paste wax on the body.

How bout you, anny tool restorations underway lately ?

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-09-2017 at 4:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Went across the river today to a friend's shop to help him get some planes working. As the old saying goes, 90% of the problems are cured by sharp. One problem was due to a chip breaker needing a bit of a touch up. Spent much of the time getting the planes set up to smooth some panels.

One the way home I swung by an antique shop to see what the had. A nice looking #6 for $100. A #5 for $50. There was a Sargent 1080 (iirc) for close to $500. There was also a bunch of block planes for around $20. Most of them looked to be #110s. One was a #220 and one was an unknown brand with adjuster.

Nothing that made me feel like taking it home for a bath.

My problem is currently having too many rust hunt trophies. Not much rust out there that isn't already in my shop. But it doesn't keep me from stopping when ever the scent of rust catches me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just finished rehabbing two #4 sized planes....Stanley #G12-004 a size 4c. There was also a Millers Falls No. 9, type 4. Traded two of my planes for the two rehabs. Beyond that? replaced the spur and the bolt on my Stanley 45....spur was too worn down, and I lost the bolt. $11 for the "new" parts. Back in business.

Rust Hunt season is just starting around here.....might take a few trips

I used to enjoy restoring rust hunt finds, but it got a bit out of hand. I wound up with way too many planes and saws. I recently divested myself of nearly everything except a core user set, most of which are refurbs. To Steven's point however, rust hunt season is just starting. There's still a couple holes to plug. I need a SW era #99 to match my #98, and I'd like to find a set of blades for my #46.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Been working on a tranny razee style smoother that I believe is a Union. Clean and paint the frame, frog. Turn a front knob, make a tote, true the sole. Oil and wax the wood.
    It came with a Stanley 2 3/8" SweetHart iron and breaker. Of course the breaker won't work (too thin), needs a breaker and lever cap.
    So far, I have not been able to find a breaker or lever cap. Still lookin'. Any ideas from the gang?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Sure, just sharpened a 1/2" Ibbotson cast steel paring chisel. It didn't really need anything else. I guess it is early 19th century, because of the octagon handle. Maybe even older, I have no idea. I don't see a lamination line, so I guess it is cast steel throughout.

foto 1 (7).jpg

7. For me it's a continuous process. I haunt thrift stores, junk shops and yard sales and when I find interesting old tools for cheap enough I take them home. They get cleaned up when I either have time or a need for the tool. As the surplus pile grows it mostly gets given away but I have sold a few.

A neighbor died, and I inherited an old very rusted plane. I have not looked at it closely enough to even know what it is, but it is for sure larger than a 4, so probably a 5 or 6. It is sitting in a bucket waiting for me to do something with it. I think it went something like "Here Andy, take this bucket of stuff" and I saw it in there.

I have a mystery 18th. C. firmer chisel,1/2" wide. It has NO marking on it at all. Very fine shape,except for the brown patina. I am certain it's 18th. C. from the shape of its elements. It has a very large bolster,and a bit welded on to it about 1/16" thick(but wavy in thickness,of course),and about 2" long. It is obviously hand made because of the less than perfect surfaces. Evidence of quick hand filing in many places.None perfect. No bevels,of course,being a firmer chisel. Seems to have a fine temper in the bit. Takes a very sharp edge.

I have no idea where I got it. Only recently did I take a careful look at it. I need to make a handle for it. It looks like the Ibbotson shown above,except mine has a larger bolster.

I have other 18th. C. chisels that ARE marked. Some still have their original handles. My favorite is a little T. Shaw 1/4" gouge,with a perfectly preserved octagonal mahogany handle. Not a defect or scratch on it.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-11-2017 at 9:10 AM.

Andrew: Bring that plane over to the Dungeon Shop, and we could have it up and making shavings,...in an afternoon.

After a marathon rehabbing of a Stanley 720, I swore off. Well last weekend I stopped to talk to my friend at the fleamarket. He says look what I found for you, a nice woven bag full of chisel handles and a half dozen socket and one carving gouge. Except for a 3/4", they were one inch. Ever heard of PAL brand ,finest quality, Germany? Three were Wm. Marples Shamrocks. So I wasn't out when I paid $35. But more work.

Cardio Workout today....3 block each way, two round trips, and $5 later..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Rusty & Krusty Dunlap No. 3 Iron has a number on it..
    619.3726 BL

Might take a wee bit to rehab. Will post results as they occur...

She had a Stanley about the same size, same price, but was missing a few parts....Maybe next Tuesday, I might walk back downtown, and pick through the rest of the stuff....

I recently inherited a lot of tools (including some saws, drills, planes, you name it). Slowly working through them, as well as making better storage and organization for my now large collection.

Current project (old, but not neander) is restoring a cast iron 1930s Companion wood spindle lathe, as well as making a mounting base/cover for moving/storage and a little more weight. Plus just picked up a No. 1530 North Bros drill that is in the middle of a quick cleanup job.

And...the after..
    front view.JPG
    Same 1951 Dunlap #3....
    rear view.JPG
    Not too bad a day..
    shavings.JPG
    Maybe 2 hours to get to these shavings.
    About normal turn-around for the Rehab Shop....

rust hunt 1.jpg
    Here are some I've just purchased. The wide chisel is "Kronan Eskiltuna" The edge was rolled badly when I got it so I feared it was soft, but it seems ok so far. It has a nice design and narrow lands, just like a berg chisel I have. I have mostly used it for paring so far so we'll see how it turns out. The 1" chisel is Charles buck and is a firmer. The edge of this one is really chipped (the same guy sold them to me, so I don't know what was going on there.) I need to get access to a grinder to take out the chips so I haven't sharpened it up yet. I really love the handle. The bigger saw is Shurley-Dietrich 7ppi crosscut. The handle is cracked and weathered, but the blade is straight and the teeth look pretty good. I think I will just repair the handle and spend some more time with the sharpening. I really want a rip saw, but with it being 7ppi I think it would be too slow, so I will leave it crosscut. The smaller one is a D23 (I think, I'm new to this.) It is 11ppi crosscut and has a very gentle curve in the end of the thin plate. Hopefully I can work it out. Hacksaw came as a package with the other saws and is a Millers Falls. I forget the number at the moment , 68 maybe?