Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing Square

Blog Entries

Framing Square

I'm looking to purchase a decent Framing Square for my son for the occassional home remodel project. I'm currently looking at the Starrett RS-24 Steel L-Shaped Rafter/Framing Square, 24" x 16" for $14.50. Starrett generally makes pretty good tools. How does this square compare to others that are out there?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-09-2017 at 4:00 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I can't speak to the quality of the square, but ideally, the graduations and markings should be etched, rather than painted, unless they are etched and filled. Without looking at it in store, you cannot check accuracy before you buy, you can only return after the fact.

I've never used the Starrett's square used and owned many others, I always check for square on the floor, by laying down marking the three corners corners then flipping and marking fouth corner and measure diagonals to see if the same, I also use a measuring tape to check the rules on all sides the rule needs to be acurate from the corner. Starrett's has never done me wrong on there other tools.

I agree with checking out individual squares in the store in order to get one that's *square*. 24 x 16 is the right size.

Framing squares take a beating and there is little that you do in framing a house that requires machinist like precision. I have looked at the Staretts and they are no better than any good framing square.

When I had crews I would gather all the squares in once in a while and straighten them, they will get knocked out occasionally. By peening either on the inside corner or outside corner a square can be brought back to true easily. Find a good straight edge, like on a piece of birch ply, draw a line,, flip the square and draw another line at the same point. Half of the difference is how far your square is off. Lightly peen the appropriate corner to push the blade the way it needs to go. You can make any square perfect as long as the blades are straight.

I bought a Stanley 16 x 24 framing square about 25 years ago, about 10.00 at he time, and it is square and straight in less the .002.
    I bought a Johnson 4 foot aluminum rule, and that is unbelievably straight within .002 over it's length. As good as an expensive straight edge.

As a former framer who still does rough and finish carpentry I can say, without reservation, that the Starrett is way over the line for the stated purpose. Get a decent framing square and and preen it per Larry's post. OTOH - If you have a boatload of money give the kid the Starrett.

Blog Entries
    I have two framing squares. One is an antique and the other came from Lowes. The one from Lowes is just fine. I don't see any difference in accuracy.I would spend my money on a good saw or hammer.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-09-2017 at 1:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    OTOH - If you have a boatload of money give the kid the Starrett.
    It's only $14.50....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It's only $14.50....
    LOL thats what I thought too. If you want one of the nicest, Chappell is where its at: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I do as Larry Edgerton mentions. In the shop I have one "peened" for inside measurements and one "peened" for outside.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Black steel squares get HOT when they're left out in the sun! Back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was wearing a toolbelt I used a Stanley 45-010, don't know if they still make it. Don't be fooled by the name on that Starrett square, it's stamped out in the same Chinese factory as any other brand at Home Depot or Lowe's.

A quick search on Amazon turned up an Empire that looks pretty good and the black version of the Stanley I used. I still have this one along with the 45-010.

Unless you're a timber-framer and need the extra charts on the Chappell, don't waste your money. I have one of those, too and it gets used less than the Stanleys.
    Last edited by Bill Graham; 04-09-2017 at 6:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    LOL thats what I thought too. If you want one of the nicest, Chappell is where its at: LINK
    After additional research the reviews on the Starrett are not very good the Chappell looks really good, but $50+ for the square might be a bit much for an occasional use tool.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It's only $14.50....
    My mistake, I guess I just equate Starrett with accuracy and dollars. Seems like neither assumption was correct.

We have an aluminum framing square in the shop that I like a lot better than the steel variety. Light and easy to handle. Good for checking some tool setups with the soft aluminum so as not to damage carbide or steel.