Thread: How long does it take?

How long does it take?

After looking at member Allan Ferguson's post titled Featured Artist I'm wondering how long does it generally take for someone to acquire that type of skill. Member Greg Parrish provided encouragement earlier when he posted some examples of his work after just getting started. They were some nice looking bowls. Unfortunately my progress hasn't been that exemplary but I'm getting better. Just curious whether I might live long enough to make some pretty wood.

Somewhere between quite a while and never depending on the person and the practice

I don't think there's any one answer. I know I'm not nearly that "good" but I don't let it bother me anymore. I try to make each piece better than the previous (or at least differently wrong) and enjoy what I'm doing. Being open to trying others techniques or suggestions (even if initially they seem ..odd...) is often very helpful as well, study the masters and try to ask quasi-intelligent questions about "that part there.. how did you do that" when possible... all helpful but some of it is just innate ability so your mileage will vary. I dunno, just enjoy turning and keep going is what I'm doing!

3. Getting to the point where one can produce "gallery Quality" work does take some time. Learning how to tame difficult woods, finishing sequences, and desirable forms, is a learning curve, that each turner addresses at his/her own pace. Not every person is as artistically inclined as another might be. There is no substitute for man hours at each skill that has its own demands for high quality results. When one can consistently put all those skills together to produce a "museum or gallery" quality pieces, then they are on their way.....it make take some years, while others maybe less than two years.

I have had my work in galleries for over 4 years, and I am still learning things! I still have skills I need to refine and some I need to learn!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-09-2017 at 2:05 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Steve - why do you ask - do you wish to sell your work, or are you looking for recognition or personal enrichment? If you're a good salesman, you can sell almost anything. The skills needed to support sales are a little different from those needed to produce artistically exceptional work. Production turners do the same thing, just emphasize different skills. An artist, on the other hand, may not have the same skill set, but brings a need to surprise, delight or express. Both require different mindsets. The artist uses his craft as a means of expression.
    I'm happy learning something new each day and bringing what I learn to what I do. I've been doing it for over 13 years and am just to the point where I feel comfortable opening up my shop to the studio tours that happen 3 or 4 times a year.

It varies a lot from person to person. The person that turns something each day will advance faster than the one that turns a couple hours on Sat. morning. You also need someone that is a good turner to critique your work. Get involved with a turning club and see what others are doing. Realize that a lot of what you see on you tube is a demonstration of poor technique. I have been turning about 15 yrs and produce better bowls than I do spindle work. I try to keep learning.

Steve, as of March it has been 8 years on a power lathe. Plus 4months using a spring pole lathe. Learned from DVDs, books , online videos, and this forum and one other where the critics have picked me apart which is good. I have managed to go to 1 demo in Spokane, WA. I have seen the work of a very new turner who'squality of work and artistiry is mind blowing. Way beyond me.
    C&C WELCOME

I agree with Jeff in that it really depends on what it is you want to do as a turner. It also depends on what skills you bring with you as you are learning how to turn. Most of us are self-taught but having clear-cut goals and a background in woodworking or art also makes a huge difference. Case in point - John Keeton. John started turning and progressed rapidly - partly because it was something new and fun but also because he had worked with wood for years and knew how the wood would react. In the beginning, John asked lots of questions and practiced new techniques until he had them mastered. He researched forms and studied until he had a good understanding of what made a pleasing form. He then tackled various finishing and enhancement techniques to distinguish the forms he was creating. Took John a couple of years to get known (mostly because he knew how to get his work seen) and now he has work in a number of galleries as well as his own website.

So, as Jeff and I have mentioned - it really depends on you.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Well, I am humbled to be referenced by Steve, since he was my mentor, constantly encouraged me, and was always there to answer my questions and critique my work. Truly, I would have long since given up turning without his influence. Though we are separated by a day and half drive, our regular communications have resulted in a life long friendship. In fact, each of us and our spouses have spent several days at the residence of the other. BTW, our weather in KY is better!!

From all I have heard, "fame" requires a "recognizable body of work" and Steve excels at that far more than do I. Unfortunately, I suffer from more ideas, thoughts and desire to try new things than I believe I have remaining time to accomplish, so I will never achieve that level of recognition.

I did study art in college, though it was not my major course of study. As a result, my work is nearly all more artistic in nature. I am quickly approaching 69 years of age, and as Steve commented, I started woodworking early in life - when I was around 12 years of age. Along the way, I did a lot of handwork, built several carved longrifles, stocked a few modern guns, restored a lot of furniture, and ended up designing and building furniture for our home.

I relate these things only to reinforce what Steve said. One's walk thru life, their artistic background, their personal needs as far as artistic expression (what do you want to see from each piece - not what you want someone else to see) all contribute to the speed of becoming an accomplished turner. When one has worked with hand chisels for decades, the "feel" of a scary sharp edge against wood is very satisfying and not easily forgotten. Turning gives the same satisfaction - only the wood is moving and the tool is relatively stationary. As a result, using turning gouges came very quickly for me. So, when you see someone "doing better" than you, perhaps you don't know the whole story behind their journey.

Above all, do not get discouraged!! If turning isn't fun for you, then perhaps your expectations need to be re-thought. It is dangerous to compare yourself to others. Decide what you want from turning, and then approach it like you would anything else in life - do what it takes to achieve the goals you set. But, accept failures along the way. If you aren't having failures, you are not challenging yourself!

Left click my name for homepage link.