Thread: Grizzly G0636X - anyone in the SE own one?

Grizzly G0636X - anyone in the SE own one?

I'm close to pulling the trigger but I sure would like to see one in use by a fellow creeker before I do if that's possible. I live in Columbia SC... though in Atlanta for the day and driving home tonight. Any takers?
    Bob C

I'm over the moon happy with mine. It punches way above it's price point.

John

That's what I keep reading. I'd just like to try my hand atvresawing something on it and seeing it up close
    Bob C

The 636x is a monster resawing and cutting veneer with the right blade on it, and terrible with a poor one. Same as most saws. So your opinion will be heavily influenced by what blade the person has on it should you get a chance to test drive one.

My personal opinion is you will not find a better new saw for resawing or cutting veneer in that price range, nor even for substantially more. If you are concerned about resale value, then buy a Euro saw; if not buy the 636x. I use a Lennox 1" x 1.3 tpi Woodmaster CT blade on mine and it cuts very smoothly, dead straight, and as fast as I can push wood through it.

John

Thanks John. Resale is not really a factor as once I get a tool I like I hold onto it for a long time.
    Bob C

The 636X is a great saw and excels at resawing, not so great as a dual purpose machine but still OK. If resawing is your primary use and you aren't willing to go up to the Minimax MM16 (roughly $600 more) or a large used cast iron saw you really can't beat it at the price point. The MM16 is the standard by which all new saws in the size range are judged but the 636X acquits itself well given the price difference. It is the best Asian saw in the 16/17" range.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van. Thanks. Is there something about the Grizzly that makes it a not so great general purpose saw? Especially when compared to the MM16. Im willing to spend the extra money but I'd want to really understand what the difference would be.
    Bob C

Just a thought, but Grizzly may give be able to give you a reference to someone who has that saw in your area, who is willing to let you stop and see/try it.

I seem to recall that they used to do this. Perhaps they still do. Perhaps it was just the phone number of someone you could talk to, which is not what you are looking for. Don't know...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!