Thread: Celtic Cross Cedar Gate and roof

Celtic Cross Cedar Gate and roof

Just finished the roof to go over the western red cedar garden gate I recently built and hung last week. Lots of firsts here. Only the second gate I've built.

The gate itself is 2.25" thick with wedged through tenons (slip tenons, cut with horizontal slot mortiser) at rail and stile intersections. Perpendicular white oak dowels driven through the tenon secure the slip tenons on the rail side. The biggest challenge was squaring up the gate, essentially around the pivot of the center circle. With advice from Creekers on router templates to perfectly mate the parts and strategies for a complicated glue up, as well as close attention to detail, the 53" x 77" gate came out perfectly square. Dead on. Have to admit I was preparing myself to settle for a 16th or so out.

Several folks suggested using epoxy for longer open time on this complex glue up (Over 100 mortises including dominoes). I went with TB3, pregluing one side of the dominoes and staging the entire process as much as possible. Still, the hydraulic lock I got on one of the 3/4" x 5" x 9" slip tenons nearly took a sledge hammer and pipe clamps to overcome. There was panic. And cussing. Lots of cussing. Next time, epoxy. I've since schooled myself in epoxy which I used on a number of roof elements to get the hang of it.

Working out some design details here for a fancier double-door Japanese Garden Gate entrance for our front yard (stepped barge boards, cambered ridge with cutback ends). Gates themselves will be more traditional. This one was an exercise in how far I could go, skill set building, and incorporation of circles into design. Stainless steel latch (cause there is no way I can afford bronze) and gate stops go on today.

Thanks to all here who offered helpful advice during the process!!!

IMG_8208.jpg

IMG_8212.jpg
    Don't ask me how I know that!

Wow! That's beautiful, Tom. Did you put any finish on it so that it will stay red longer, or are you going to let the cedar weather?

Blog Entries
    Absolutely love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Wow! That's beautiful, Tom. Did you put any finish on it so that it will stay red longer, or are you going to let the cedar weather?
    I'm trying out a European product, Osmo Deck Stain. Big fan of their interior floor finishing product which I use on cabinetry, trim, furniture, etc. I got the one deck oil flavor without UV inhibitors. The oil soaks in and hardens (two wipe on coats) so I gave it some protection but it will still naturally gray over time with no flaking, etc. We'll see. I used WoodRX on another gate and it might be one of the best choices for protection and longevity but I don't like the monotone, grain hiding, orange cast.
    Don't ask me how I know that!

Very nice. I made a BBQ cart out of Red Cedar and it was nice to work with. I'm used to QSWO so the Cedar was like cutting through soap. While I like making furniture, making outdoor stuff gives me great satisfaction. One day I hope to build a small garden shed using Japanese techniques.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That's really nice. Great craftsmanship

Wow, Tom, very nice indeed. Very unique, love it. Patrick

Super Nice Gate. Well done.