Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake repairs?

Brake repairs?

I just took my Impreza in for brake work.
    They replaced both front rotors and one front pad.

1) Does that make sense, to replace a rotor and not the pads that goes with it?
    2) If we had gone in for service earlier, might we have saved the rotors?
    3) Is $220 in the ballpark?

My understanding is that the pads wear out first, and you generally only have to do the rotors if you drive with worn out pads. But what do I know?

Pads aren't that expensive so if I changed the rotors, I'd certainly put new pads on, also.

Unless you wore the pads down to their backing - where you have steel-to-steel, a worn pad is not likely to score or damage a rotor.

I would think that $220 for two rotors and labor would be in the ballpark.

Rotors can become warped. Did you ask them why they changed the rotors? Can you see that they did put new rotors on the car?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Does not make sense to me. Brake pads come in at least axle for one side which includes both an inner and outer pad. If they just replaced one pad on one side that is a shoemakers brake job. I am sure they must have replaced both pads on one side. As for rotors they do wear, how many miles were on the rotors? If the rotors are under spec on thickness or warped they need to be replaced irregardless of condition of the pads. I am guessing that the rotors were under spec on thickness and that for some reason the caliper on one side was hanging up and it wore out the shoes on that side. They had to take the caliper off to replace the rotor so the cost of pads for the second side would have been a minor additional cost. I would take the car back and make them eat the labor to replace the pads they did not replace on their first try.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I was just looking at the receipt. It says "1 - Brake Pads Front". My son says they told him they replaced pads on both front wheels.
    Either he is confused, "1 - Brake Pads Front" is a set for both wheels", or they billed wrong.

He will call them to ask why they needed to replace the rotors.
    The car has about 60,000 mile on it.
    At his last oil change they told him he would need new brakes at his next oil change. He took it somewhere else a few thousand miles later.

My guess is that means an axle set which is pads for both sides.
    George

1) no
    I bet their POS system is setup for a quantity of "1" for a front brake job. I don't think anyone does a single wheel brake job. Qty would be 2 if you got front and rears. Pads come in a set of 4 to do both sides. So 1 pack = both wheels. Rotors are usually sold individually.

2) Maybe
    Hard to know without knowing more details about what the pads and rotors look like. Rotors likely were gouged or if you felt a "thump thump thump" while braking they could have been warped.

3) Yes

When I change my pads I usually do the rotors too. They aren't that expensive and figure I can spend a bit more since I do it myself and safe on labor.

Pet peave: irregardless is not a word

Blog Entries
    Pads are only sold in pairs- front set and rear set. They would not have changed just one side. They charged you for front pads- one set. $220 is about right for modern cars. Don't worry about saving the rotors. Nowadays they charge to turn them the same as the cost of a new one.

Just st never let it get this far (not my pic):
    image.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

Pet peave: irregardless is not a word
    actually, it is a word; https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

and its "pet peeve" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pet%20peeve
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 04-09-2017 at 5:07 PM.

Regardless and irregardless mean exactly the same thing. I prefer the historically correct word and would not allow an employee to submit a white paper to a customer with the word irregardless included because it is in the same category as using the ever popular "ain't" as a contraction for "am not". I don't usually suggest correction to grammatical errors because typically all it does is make the person angry. It doesn't teach anything.

Okay okay, it has become popular enough to become a word but is not proper. Per the last line of the quoted MW link: "Use regardless instead."

I apologize to all that I offended. I do however have one pet peeve at that is that I make errors with grammar.

This being said, I do have an MBA and was the CFO of a $30mm company when I retired.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 04-09-2017 at 7:41 PM.
    George

I meant no offense George! Sorry for mentioning it.

Back to the scheduled brake discussion....

A big issue with rotors is warping. I replaced a vehicle with 65,000 miles on it that had warped rotors with a brand new exact same vehicle. I never realized how just bad the rotors were until I got the new vehicle. (There are long term economic reasons why I replaced a perfectly good vehicle with a brand new one same body style and trim level. Literally only thing different is they went from 16" to 17" wheels.)

I think $220 is almost a bargain for new pads and rotors these days. 20+ years ago I got prices over $300 for the thing!

Strange to me that they didn't do all new pads with the new rotors...

Yes, replacing pads when required will help extend the life of the rotors, but they may still need maintenance before final replacement anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

$220 to do fronts isn't a bad deal. My AutoZone, thru commercial sales desk, ran a promotion for pads and rotors for $100. This parts only, no labor. Rotors for my wife's car set me back around $110 last year, plus pads. Pads generally carry a lifetime warranty, while rotors carry a year warranty. Some rotors are made with the hub, so you need new bearings and races to add to the fun. O'Riley's turns rotors or drums for $10 each, but her rotors had already been turned once before.