Thread: I can finally turn again

I can finally turn again

It has been a while since I have had a shop set up. We moved about 2.5 years ago, and I broke ground Labor Day weekend 2015. With a lot of planning and building it myself, and well, some flat board projects for the kids and house along the way, the turning area with good dust collection is finally set up. I will keep this post to turning and discuss it more in the Workshop forum. Looking forward to some making some shavings again. I still have a pallet piled with wood in the shed that I have now moved three times. I don't need to move it into the shop, right? That's what a shed is for....

A quick description of the pics:
    I think most of my tools have been posted somewhere along the line. Its just been a while.
    The Jet is setup near most of the tools that are put on what is basically a tall knee wall (if that makes sense). It is also very close to the 6" DC piping (V-3000 DC).
    The Delta has its own very heavy mobile stand. I make a lot of pens, so there are minimal tools near that lathe.
    In between the lathes is my grinder with CBN wheels. The cabinet below the grinder has other sharpening gadgets and hollowing tools in it.
    In the pictures you see a cabinet that I put behind me to put tools and other various things on I need nearby when working on my masterpieces!

Hopefully this will provide some ideas for others. I have gained a lot of knowledge and ideas from those who have shared on this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris - looks like you have quite the setup! Well thought out! Hope you get to start turning soon! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That looks like a great space!

I like the "knee" wall. Did you build that just for tools? I did a similar thing in my shop - I brought out two 8' walls from one side of the shop with 12' between them, a sort of a room with three sides. I did this to both "define" the turning space and to give me lots of wall space to hang tools. To me shop wall space is like gold.

Two lathes are near the walls on either end of the space with a workbench between them. When I'm at my main lathe I have a wall of tools within arms reach behind the lathe, another wall and cabinets/drawers to the right, and more tools behind me below the workbench.

You say you do flatwood too? I'll check the other forums.
    I like your white walls and ceilings. It looks like you have plenty of light.

I like your "Dad's Workshop" sign too! Your shop is far too neat but I carved a sign appropriate for my shop:
    chip_mess.jpg

As for wood in the shed, I do that too with wood in 6 different places around the farm. However, I find the wood in the shop is what I see and turn. I rarely remember that perfect piece in the shed out by the beehives and go after it. I occasionally have to go and look through the other wood stashes and haul pieces into the shop. I'm always surprised how a certain piece of wood will inspire me to make a particular thing so it helps to have a variety where I can see it.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stolicky View Post
    It has been a while since I have had a shop set up. We moved about 2.5 years ago, and I broke ground Labor Day weekend 2015. With a lot of planning and building it myself, and well, some flat board projects for the kids and house along the way, the turning area with good dust collection is finally set up. I will keep this post to turning and discuss it more in the Workshop forum. Looking forward to some making some shavings again. I still have a pallet piled with wood in the shed that I have now moved three times. I don't need to move it into the shop, right? That's what a shed is for....

A quick description of the pics:
    I think most of my tools have been posted somewhere along the line. Its just been a while.
    The Jet is setup near most of the tools that are put on what is basically a tall knee wall (if that makes sense). It is also very close to the 6" DC piping (V-3000 DC).
    The Delta has its own very heavy mobile stand. I make a lot of pens, so there are minimal tools near that lathe.
    In between the lathes is my grinder with CBN wheels. The cabinet below the grinder has other sharpening gadgets and hollowing tools in it.
    In the pictures you see a cabinet that I put behind me to put tools and other various things on I need nearby when working on my masterpieces!

Hopefully this will provide some ideas for others. I have gained a lot of knowledge and ideas from those who have shared on this forum.

Nice looking and well organized shop! It gives the appearance that someone knows what they're doing.

Color me jealous Chris. Looks like an awesome space to get the creative juices flowing.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Very nice. I would love seeing more pics, for my new shop build (and new house) should be starting in the next month or two and would like to see what you did. Enjoy.

Just found your other post with pics!!

Red
    RED

That'll do nicely Chris. Enjoy!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Nothing like that new shop smell. Congratulations, nothing brings me more enjoyment than being in the shop. Well there might be one or two other things.

Thanks all. I enjoyed building it and hope to spend a lot of time in there, especially if I can get my kids interested. I am also grateful to have a supporting wife.

John - the wall was pretty much to help contain flying chips and hold tools. I have clamps stored on the other side of it. I have tossed around the idea of building a sliding door that I could pull out to make it longer when needed. We will see, I also have a bench in the way at the moment. I need to spend some time making a mess to find the best way to lay things out. My old little shop had a shower curtain. I find containing shavings makes it much easier to clean up, and therefore, spend more time turning.

Don failed to mention that he had a hand in the project. If anything is crooked, its all his fault! No, really, Don spent several days helping along the way and made a big difference.