Thread: Shop is finally up and running

Shop is finally up and running

It has been a while since I have had a shop set up. We moved about 2.5 years ago, and I broke ground Labor Day weekend 2015. With a lot of planning and building it myself, and well, some flat board projects for the kids and house along the way, it is finally set up. Looking forward to making some shavings again and learning some more about the flat stuff. I'm currently standing on the edge of the hand tool world! I'm also hoping to get some valuable time with my kids in the shop as they grow up.

Here is the link to my Flickr Album that includes over 100 pics and a few videos from along the way. It is just way too much to include in a thread.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stolic...57682252503846

Brief overview: 16' x 28' shop build. 9' ceilings and 2"x6" walls. Techno Posts in addition to existing slab, 2"x10" floor joists, 3/4" utility grade oak flooring, hot water radiant heat, drain-back solar collector on the south wall to heat water with a gas backup, 100A sub panel, piped in air, R19 in walls and R38 in ceiling. Oneida V-3000, Mid-size California Air compressor, and you will see the rest of the machinery in the pics. I do have a DC duct that goes underneath with an input at the table saw and at the other wall of the shop. There is also power in the middle of the floor near the table saw. The DC is in a closet with the compressor (not that I need it since its so quiet) with a return baffle to the shop. The baffle is a large box with a pathway filled with carpet remnants and left over Roxul insulation. There is a ceiling mounted ambient air cleaner with plans for a second. The air cleaner outlets are wired to a timer on the wall. The shop is wired more than a kid on skittles and mountain dew! There are four main 20A circuits that are run around the shop, every 4', in double boxes about 4'-6" high (1+2, 3+4, 1+2, etc. as you look around the shop) There are also a few 220 circuits. Also installed GFIC's outside so I can work out there if I happen to be around on one of the 10 or so nice days we get each year... There are also a couple of switched outlets on the ceiling in case I want more task lighting. I would like to install a drop for the compressed air on the outside someday.

I did attach a few pics so you can get an idea of what I came up with. Things will always move around, as we have all discovered. A quick description of the pics:
    A pic of the outside and the inside before anything was moved it. It fills up quick!
    The Jet is setup near most of the tools that are put on what is basically a tall knee wall (if that makes sense). The wall helps contain some of the flying shavings. The lathe is also very close to the 6" DC piping for collecting sanding dust.
    The Delta has its own very heavy mobile stand full of pen kits and blanks. I make a lot of pens, so there are minimal tools near that lathe.
    In between the lathes is my grinder with CBN wheels. The cabinet below the grinder has other sharpening gadgets and hollowing tools in it.
    In the pictures you see a cabinet on casters that I put behind me to put tools and other various things on I need nearby when working on my masterpieces!
    There is also a shot inside the closet with the DC and compressor.

Hopefully this will provide some ideas for others. I have gained a lot of knowledge and ideas from those who have shared on this forum.

Feel free to ask questions. I spent many years collecting ideas and trying to figure out the best features to include in a shop build. It is never big enough, but I live in suburbia, and found a way to make it work. Budget always also comes into play. I'm lucky my wife is supportive. My secondary goal with the shop was to add value to our property. Our house is an English Tudor style so the shed and shop match that architecture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent shop Chris, a labor of love I'm sure. I love all the lighting you have!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice shop. They always look so big when empty. Doesn't take long to fill one up.

Nice job. Enjoy the new space.

Red
    RED