Thread: Knew Concepts Saw Handle.

Blog Entries

Knew Concepts Saw Handle.

I would like a new handle for my Knew Concepts Fret Saw. I don't have a lathe. I could turn one on my drill press.

I've never turned anything, so I'll probably just whittle one. I've whittled chisel handles before.

If any of you have made new handles, can you show pictures and talk about design mistakes you might have made?
    I think I know what I want, but would like see what you've done.

2. The replacment handles sold by Elkhead Tools (http://www.elkheadtools.com/saw_handles.html, also sold by Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...11&cat=1,42884) might give you some ideas for your own design.

I made a new handle for my Knew Concepts saw. You can see what I did here.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I would like a new handle for my Knew Concepts Fret Saw. I don't have a lathe. I could turn one on my drill press.

I've never turned anything, so I'll probably just whittle one. I've whittled chisel handles before.

If any of you have made new handles, can you show pictures and talk about design mistakes you might have made?
    I think I know what I want, but would like see what you've done.
    I've discussed the handles with Lee Marshall from the time KC fretsaws came onto the scene for woodworkers. My preference is a longer handle than the original ...

There is a bit discussed in my review of the birdcage version: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...geFretsaw.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lowell, i would turn the ferrule end on the drill press but not the handle. My drill press doesn't do well with things longer than an inch or two. It is possible, but not any saved work vs just doing it by hand.

Lowell, I'm sorry I can't help with this one - I don't have that tool.

As an aside, it's surprizing to me that SO MANY people feel the need to replace the handle on a saw that costs $100 or more. Enough folks that at least 2 different companies sell replacements. I wonder why Knew Concepts doesn't update their design to better meet what folks need? No answer needed from anyone - it just came to mind as I read the thread.

Sorry for the diversion Lowell. Good luck!
    Fred

[Edit: I know there are places that sell replacement handles for other hand tools, including LV planes. But I don't read much buzz about it. But it seems to happen pretty regularly on KC saws, so it caught my attention.]
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-20-2017 at 7:50 AM.

As an aside, it's surprizing to me that SO MANY people feel the need to replace the handle on a saw that costs $100 or more. Enough folks that at least 2 different companies sell replacements. I wonder why Knew Concepts doesn't update their design to better meet what folks need? No answer needed from anyone - it just came to mind as I read the thread.
    Hi Fred

The reason, given to me by Lee Marshall, is cost. The original handle has been upgraded over time. The current handle works well, but some (like myself) want something more. Upgrading the handle to a fancy wood adds significantly to the cost - of what is already an expensive saw.

Regards from Perth

Derek

+1.
    When I get the chance I will update my KC saws and post the result. I do think a slightly different shape of handle would improve it greatly. It doesn't need to be an expensive/ exotic wood.

Blog Entries
    Mike,

I like the wood you used.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    As an aside, it's surprizing to me that SO MANY people feel the need to replace the handle on a saw that costs $100 or more. Enough folks that at least 2 different companies sell replacements. I wonder why Knew Concepts doesn't update their design to better meet what folks need?
    Of course, "no answer is needed," my saw still has the original handle that satisfies my needs. Though sometimes when there is a bit of spare time one likes to 'personalize' their tools. What better way than a custom handle out of a pleasing piece of wood?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I eagerly await seeing Ron's update.

I've been looking at the details of the handle where it joins the frame. I've come to the conclusion
    that I'm not going there.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-20-2017 at 2:42 PM.